What kind of surgery would fix my hooded eyes? Do I need to get an eyebrow lift? (photos)

I have hooded eyes naturally, not due to ageing. I am 20 years old. Do I need to get an eyebrow lift? I Also have a very small forehead which looks disproportioned with my face, will my small forehead be a difficulty if I get surgery? I constantly "lift" my eyebrows up so they don't look saggy, and I am worried I am going to give myself early forehead wrinkles with that, even though the skin on my forehead is really thick and can hardly "roll"

If you look at many model pictures you will find similar finding meaning fuller eyelids. Face is my area of expertise and I strongly recommend that you leave your eyelids alone. Your eyelids are very attractive and you do not want to face potential risks for something that it is going to have no or very minimal yield at this age. 10 years from now you may benefit from the surgery and by then we may have even less invasive techniques.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Heavy upper lids

Thank you for your question about your brow lift.

I am sorry you are troubled by your eyes and forehead.
  • You are young, with lovely eyes.
  • Your upper lids have considerable fat, which gives them a soft look but not much space for eyeliner and eye shadow.
  • I understand the problems - having the same kind of eyes.
  • And I have operated on many women for this problem.
  • First do NOT have any surgery for 2 - 5 years. Women often in their early 20s want cosmetic surgery that doesn't look right later on. 
  • Put the money aside in the meantime, putting  your education before any future cosmetic surgery..
  • In the meantime, consult several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and discuss what is involved with a conservative removal of fat to give more space to the upper lid.
  • The upper lid surgery if overdone will  make your eyes look harsh and may not fit the rest of your face. 
  • If your brow is low, a coronal brow lift can be done instead but may permanently thin the hair and will lift the eyebrows as well as the lids.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful Best wishes

Fixing Hooded Eyes

Hooding of the eyes can be caused by low eyebrows secondary to aging or as an inherited characteristic. I have done a brow lift on many patients over the years. I suggest using the Irregular Triichophytic Incision Technique that we described many years ago.

Brow lift candidates

Fullness of the upper eyelid is an attractive sign of youth at this age, so at this point, I would not advise surgery. As you continue to age, the issue will likely get slightly worse. At some point, I do think you would be an excellent candidate for an Endoscopic Brow lift. 20 is a bit young... I have performed these surgeries in the right candidates at about age 30.

There is no right or wrong in your case.

Brow lifting can be used as a tool to change the inherited anatomy of the face. When meeting with an experienced facial cosmetic surgeon, you may be considered a good candidate for small incision brow elevation surgery. The nuances of the procedure can be discussed with your surgeon in terms of vector direction of lift and surgical approach. 

One very nice way to "try on" the results can be to use Botox in a "medical brow lift" pattern. This is a reversible, low risk, relatively low cost option for you to experience temporarily the vertical repositioning of your brows. For a young patient who is making a big decision about whether to "mess with" your anatomy, this would be my suggested first step. Good luck to you!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyebrow lift

Dear spookymulder,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. It does appear that the tail of your brow is somewhat lower than the head of the brow, leading to a fleshy upper lid appearance with very little upper lid show. This is more of a hereditary and congenital anatomical variant, rather than an aging process, and repositioning of the brows with an endoscopic brow lift would be one possible option. There are many different configurations of endoscopic brow lift and seeking the consultation of a plastic surgeon with lots of experience in brow repositioning would be most useful.

Generally, endoscopic brow lifts can be performed in an hour or less under local anaesthesia and recovery is usually a week or less.

This would be an aesthetic decision rather than an anti-aging decision and, as such, it should be carefully weighed and evaluated on the balance and proportion that the slightly elevated tail or middle part of the brow makes and how it influences the overall periocular facial shape and structure.

I have been performing endoscopic brow lifts for 20 years and, generally, these scenarios – endoscopic brow lifts for hereditary low brow – usually end up in a very pleasing aesthetic result.

For more information, please review the link below.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Eyelid Rejuvenation

When I look at your eyes, I see a youthful eyelid complex, not a droopy brow.  Your upper eyelids appear full, which can be very flattering.  If you truly believe your eyebrow is heavy, perhaps a reasonable and non-permanent first step might be BOTOX / DYSPORT around the eyelids, in the glabella between the heads of your eyebrows, and on your forehead. This will raise your brow slight, and arch it so that it appears as though you had a lift of your brow and eyelid.  Then you can see whether this is something that you like.

Good Luck! 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hooded eyes

At your young age this is considered an attractive variation of normal brow and eyes. You are correct in assuming that eventually you will need some form of browlift and heredity does play a role in some people needing surgical correction much earlier. Seek a consultation now with a doctor that corrects these problems and have them follow you along so they can monitor your progression and eventually tell you it is time to do a surgery.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Low brow

You have a full brow which is a sign of youth.  Your brow may be on the low side, but not enough to be unattractive.  If you want a higher brow get some botox to the outer corner of the brow which will give you more of an arch.  If you like the way that looks you can consider a surgical lift down the road.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon