Getting Juvederm Plus, is it okay when you have regular Juvederm in your cheeks?

Hey I have almost 6 syringes of juviderm in my face for acne scarring and it worked great! But I wanna get a tiny bit more just to touch up a few small spots, is it okay to switch to the longer lasting juviderm plus for the touch up or should I stick with the same, thanks.

You can have different thicknesses of fillers at the same time, but keep in mind thicker fillers should be placed deeper

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. You state you had 6 syringes of Juvederm placed for acne scars, and you’re going back for a touchup. I believe you were offered Juvederm Plus or Juvederm Ultra Plus, and ask if it’s okay to have 2 different types of fillers, or if it’s  better to stick with the one you started with.

I can give you some guidance on this, even in the absence of a photo. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I use a lot of fillers in my practice and treat a lot of acne scarring. The application of this whole spectrum of fillers includes not only fillers in the Juvederm family, but also Restylane. We also treat acne scars with regenerative medical technology like platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and platelet-rich fibrin matrix (PRFM), as well as fat grafting, so I am very familiar with this type of question.

To begin with, it is very good to hear you are satisfied with the result. The challenge with acne scarring is diagnosing the type of scar, and using the right strategy to maximize the outcome. Chances are with 6 syringes of Juvederm prior, you were getting a lot of injections intradermally within the scar, and probably some subdermal under the skin. The difference between the 2 products has to do with the relative thickness and viscosity. There is basically a direct correlation - the thicker the product, the longer it lasts., but thicker fillers are meant to be placed deeper.

When treatment is more superficial, setting aside acne scars using an example like lips or fine lines or wrinkles. If you use a thicker product, it doesn’t fit very well and can create an elevation that’s undesirable. When you place the material deeper, it can really work out very well. We actually do a procedure called structural volumizing where we routinely use Juvederm Ultra Plus to augment and enhance the cheekbone, the jawline, the chin. We place it deep at the bone level, under the muscles and it lasts a long time and it provides correction for a longer period.

I think the reason your doctor is considering Juvederm Ultra Plus may be based on the response of certain areas of the acne scarring which didn’t hold up well with the Juvederm Ultra. The natural thinking for a physician is if something less thick didn’t provide correction, maybe something thicker will. The coexistence of the product is no problem at all as they are all in the family of hyaluronic acid. As I mentioned earlier, it is routine for us in acne scarring to combine hyaluronic acid with platelet-rich plasma (PRP). Every doctor approaches acne scarring from the lens of their experience and their experience using certain products and strategies.

I think it’s perfectly fine to get more clarification. Speak to your doctor about why the choice was made to go to Juvederm Ultra Plus. I suspect it’s not about the longevity, but rather about the ability to maintain its shape in certain areas where it might be of greater benefit. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm Products

Thank you for your excellent question.  The various Juvederm products differ in their thickness and longevity.  They are commonly used together, depending on the areas being treated.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

The two Juvederms are often used together. Juvederm Ultra Plus is longer lasting and is typically used for deeper injection. It may or may not be the right filler for the acne scars that are left. Your dermatologist can make that determination. If you have superficial depressions left it is possible that you need a little more Juvederm Ultra. 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

Thanks for your question. That would be completely fine to get Juvederm ultra plus in your cheeks if you have had Juvederm in the past. Combinations of HA fillers are used all the time with no issues. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

We often combine different HA's in a treatment.  You would have no trouble using Ultra plus if you've had ultra in the past.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Juvederm Ultra Plus after Juvederm Ultra

There should be no problem using Juvederm Ultra Plus after using Ultra previously for acne scars.  This two fillers are similar- both consist of hyaluronic acid but Ultra Plus is thicker.  Usually Ultra Plus is injected with a slightly larger needle.  Another filler to consider would be Restylane Lyft which is a stiffer product than Juvederm and provides a good lifting effect for atrophic or sunken acne scars.  If you were pleased with your previous results, I would go back to that same injector.  A good injector can get good results with many different filler products.   Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Can you have different types of filler in the face?

Thanks so much for your question. We often combine different types of HA's in the face as we have preference as to which products work best in particular areas. For example, we love Juvederm Ultra Plus for the cheeks, lips, nasol folds but we wouldn't use it in the tear troughs. Feel free to mix different HA's if you wish provided the expert advice has been given by your physician. All the best!!

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Switching fillerrs

Juvederm ultraplus may be slightly longer lasting in some patients.  There is no reason that you cannot have different fillers used.  Often, multiple types of fillers are used at the same time as the each have slightly different effects.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers

Yes, you can "mix and match" these types of fillers and it should be fine. Best of luck moving forward.

Juvederm or Juvederm Ultra Plus - OK to get both?

This is certainly fine to do this. There is no interactions. Mixing filler in the face is becoming the norm because of the different characteristics of fillers in various areas of the face.

Steven F. Weiner, MD