Was Juvederm Voluma placed in the wrong location 3 days ago? Worried, broke, and an actress. Please help!

I'm 42 with new volume loss. My tear troughs were treated with Restylane (1 syringe each), and cheeks with Juvederm Voluma (1 syringe ttl). There's bruising and swelling under my eyes. My mid cheeks still look flat... maybe even flatter than before. When I smile, the apples of my new cheeks seem to head off to the sides with no dimples/lines around my nose. From an angle, there's a hollow in my midface an protrusion high on my cheekbone. Was Voluma was placed too far from the centre of my face?

Swelling and side effects of Voluma

Voluma is a great injection but needs to be injected deeply for the correct natural appearing results.  Please post a photo so that we can help you.  Swelling and bruising can take time to go away before you can see the actual results.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma Placement

Thank you for your question.  Typically, Voluma is placed along the zygomatic (cheek) bone starting from the lateral (closest to ear) portion and then working medial (closer to nose) as needed.  Based on your description of bruising and swelling, you are not seeing the "final" result at this time.  You may wish to return to your board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to rapidly resolve the bruising with an IPL or pulsed dye laser and check on your current progress.  Otherwise, wait until the bruising and swelling resolve.

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrong Placement of Voluma?

Thank you for your question.  The bruising and swelling are most likely making your results harder to appreciate.  That said, your description is not making it sound promising.  Can you repost with photos?  It will be easier to evaluate your results.

Issues after filler

I would return to your practitioner to discuss your options for the areas that you don't like after waiting a couple weeks for swelling to resolve... this includes hyaluronidase to reverse the filler or more filler if still delfated.

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Fillers don't look right

Please try to relax and give this some to settle. Things probably look awkward right now because of the bruising and the swelling. It can take up to 2 weeks for things to fully settle into place. Then, assess what things look like! As an aside, please don't press on the fillers even if you don't like how they look right now. That could potentially move the filler at this point and make things much worse. Just relax and keep your hands off your face.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Voluma concerns

Without photos, it's difficult to completely answer your questions. The bruising and swelling under the eyes can occur following the injections due to small blood vessels being injured. At this point, I would recommend warm compresses to the areas 3-4x's/d for approx 15 mins/ application. You could also use some Arnica pellets by mouth which could help the resolution process which typically can last for 7-10 days. The amount of Voluma used seems to be a minimal amount but I don't know how much correction was needed and how much you could afford to have injected. In another week, revisit your doctor for a proper evaluation.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma Placement

It is difficult to assess the placement or results of fillers without doing an consultation and evaluation in person.  Photos would be helpful.  I would also add that post injection swelling and bruising may take several days to subside.
I recommend returning to your injector/plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Without a physical exam or pictures is impossible to give you an evaluation of your concerns. it is common to see swelling on the injected areas of Voluma from 2-5 weeks. The bruising is also common for a couple of days after injection. If you are very concern, please make a call to your injector to make sure that you get an evaluation.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon