Can Juvederm contribute to speeding up the breakdown of your own tissue?

Have there been cases where Juvederm breaks down your own tissue? Also, can Juvederm breakdown speed up the breakdown of your own tissue in the process? I understand this is not the norm, but I am just wondering if this is ever a rare and negative side effect.

Fillers help your skin.

Most fillers, including Juvederm, will actually benefit your skin and can stimulate collagen growth. The opposite is not true though, as fillers are being broken down and are metabolized the surrounding tissues and collagen are not effected. 

Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

Hello, and thanks for your question.Juvederm is made from hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in everyone's skin, so it has not been shown to cause breakdown of tissue. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

No there has never been any evidence of Juvederm breaking down one's tissue.  It is mae of hyaluronic acid so the body recognizes it as it's own.  Typically your body will build collagen when the juvederm is injected.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Juvederm

No Juverderm will not contribute to the breakdown of your own tissue. There has actually been some evidence, that it can stimulate collagen production in your tissue over time. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm breakdown of tissue?

Juvederm is biosynthesized hyaluronic acid HA identical to what we have naturally, primarily in the dermal layer of the skin and joints. HA is abundant when we are young and decreases as we age, thereby contributing to the loss of skin fullness and tone as well as joint problems.  Soft tissue fillers of HA have been approved to plump fine lines and add volume to the face but these are broken down by hyaluronidase enzyme which our body makes and which can be injected to correct excessive fullness after filler injection.  There is no evidence that injected HA causes increased breakdown of the body's issues.  In fact there is some evidence that injected HA may stimulate the body's building of collagen thereby adding to the volume.  This process may be minimal in most patients.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Juvederm

I have never read or seen anything in my practice to suggest that Juvederm breaks down your own tissue. Juvederm is an extremely safe, hyaluronic based product. I would not be concerned about tissue breakdown.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Juvederm is an otherwise inert dermal filler and does not cause breakdown of the body's natural tissue.  Hope this helps.