Are IPL, photofacials and microdermabrasion only for older people? Which procedure do you recommend for me, or are both ok?

I am a 23 year old fair-skinned, freckled redhead.

Treatments for Younger People

Thank you for your question. IPL/fotofacial and microdermabrasion are great for anyone who has sun-damaged skin and wanting to have youthful, refreshed looking skin. I hope this helps!

How young is too young to start taking care of your skin?

You are not too young to begin taking good care of your skin.  This may involve topically applied medical grade skincare, chemical peels, micro-dermabrasion, and possibly even pulsed light treatment.  You would need to undergo evaluation by a knowledgeable physician  with extensive experience and treating younger patients to make a treatment plan.You certainly don't want to overdo treatments at a young age but I encourage you to be proactive so as to maintain the health and appearance of your skin over time.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Are cosmetic procedures ok for younger people

There is a newer trend called "pre"juvenation where we try to prevent things from happening to the skin vs. treat issues later in a "re"juvenation or corrective manner. So, yes, procedures are often done on people at younger and younger ages. However, what needs to be evaluated is what you are trying to treat and why. Good skincare regimens and sunscreen are key for any age, so that might be enough for you. Without a photo it's hard to comment on specifically.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Microdermabrasion, IPL, and Facials

If you would like to post a photo to see what problem you are considering treatment that you be helpful.  The procedures such as IPL, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion are for patients of all ages.  For young patients I often recommend a combination of oxygen facials and microdermabrasion.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with extensive experience with lasers and skin care for the best cosmetic results.

IPLs, Photofacial and Dermabrasion... what are the best ages?

Hi there, 

Let me start by saying that most cosmetic, anti-aging and facial rejuvination treatments are safe for people after 18 years of age. However, just because it is safe doesnt mean you need it. In the end, they key is, what is best for your skin and your concern? 

IPL is great for doing one of three things (1) Removing red spots (2) Removing brown spots and in some situations (3) removing some hair. If one of these things concerns you (particularly 1 or 2) than an ILP will be great. In fact, IPL and photo-facial are basically the same things. 

As for Microdermabrasion, i personally think chemical peels are much better. You can really help your skin with these. Your skin will be soft, brighter, less acne and help reduce rough skin. 

As a fair skinned redhead, your options are great as you dont have the limitations most people have. 

Hopefully you find what you need. 

I actually worked in Toronto for a year so I am sure you will find some great physicians there who can help you. 

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
University of Ottawa

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon