What should I do to improve facial symmetry and jawline problems? (Photo)

My self esteem has really started to crumble and I need to know what to do. My left jaw is more defined than my other, and my right side of my face has a masseter hypertrophy I believe. I'm just not sure what to do as non-surgical options. Should I do a botox to reduce the masseter? Do I have hypertrohy like I think I do? Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

Facial Asymmetry

It is very common to have facial asymmetry and a difference in muscle movement on each side of the face. If this is something that bothers you, it may be helpful to discuss subtle options for injectable treatment, (Botox or Dysport for example.) with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and then decide if that's the right option for you.

Take care. 

Facial asymmetry

I am sorry to hear that you are so frustrated with your appearance. Noninvasive techniques can be used to improve facial symmetry. I would recommend consultation with a physician in your area who has extensive expertise in facial aesthetics to determine what your best options are. Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

Dear unbalanced21,

Thank you for your clinical post. You do have one very strong jawline and one slightly weaker jawline. However, even though the eyes are blacked out you appear to have very attractive facial anatomy, that your self-esteem is crumbling should have less to do with your appearance and more to do with your confidence and interpersonal and personal fortitude. Over evaluation of ones appearance is usually the bad idea and preoccupation and obsession with plastic surgery will not solve interpersonal concerns and issues.

From a purely physical perspective you may benefit from some slight augmentation of the weak side using soft tissue gel fillers such as Juvederm Voluma and oral reduction of the strong contralateral side or other side with Botox into the masseter.

These changes will give you more symmetry and more definition, however, there are many more important variables in your young collegiate life that will bear witness to more happiness than your jawline asymmetry.
Tread cautiously through consultations as you may find that you waste money that could be best suited serving your education.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Non-surgical facelift

I would advise you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss which non-surgical options would best achieve your goals. But don't worry, there are options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Botox or Fillers for facial asymmetry?

Dear unbalanced21:

Thank you for sharing your photo.

Cell duplication and migration from the center of your neck and scalp during embryo development fuse along the anterior face to create the features you have. The fusion does not occur perfectly symmetrically so we all have asymmetry of our face and bodily features. 

The photo you have provided is not a complete evaluation but does show a good bit of symmetry. I recommend you consider consultation from a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon who performs a lot of injectables. Options include as you point out, Botox for masseteric hypertrophy or facial fillers to volumize the areas of your concern. 

You may also consider Dr. Obagi's ZO Skin Healthcare regimen to even pigmentation and improve and tighten texture of the skin to highlight your features and gain better self-esteem. 

Good luck with your journey! 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Assymetrical face

Botox injections should be able to improve the face and make it more symmetrical. Be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and that he is experienced in this procedrue

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Facial

Facial asymmetries are very normal. Yours appears to be on the mild side. And yes I think you have good ideas. Botox can make the larger side smaller and fillers can make the smaller side larger. I would see a board-certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with these techniques and I think you can get a very good result.  
good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry and Jawline problems

It looks as if a combination of Botox for the masseter and Juvederm to the chin will help your situation.  Thermage will also help tighten and lift the skin as well.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and facial asymmetry

Thank your for your question.  Yes it does appear that you have some facial asymmetry particularly as it relates to your masseter muscle.  I would suggest a consultation with your Board Certified Dermatologist for evaluation and management of Botox injections into the masseter muscle, you will get marked thinning of the muscle and it should balance your facial asymmetry.  Please note you will likely require some Botox on the contralateral masseter as well to make sure the look is symmetric.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon