How can I improve the appearance of my nose? (photos)

I had a car accident many years ago, had stitches on my nose and a scar which I tried to remove by removing a layer of skin and making it more even.. Which gave my nose this sort of a square shape plus I still have this red dot, a pit, that I hide with a concealer daily ... Anyway, I did go to a few doctors years ago and was told that basically nothing can be done or they could try something but would be very unsure of the result and its best to leave it this way.. what do you think I could do?

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Filler injection

see what some filler injection would do. Fillers, depending on their composition, are useful for treating fine lines and areas of soft tissue deflation.

Nasal tip

The tip is wide and prominent.  It can be improved significantly by reducing the size of the underlying cartilages.  It is very difficult to treat the pit.  After the rhinoplasty lasers can be used to reduce the appearance of the pit along with a small amount of a filler.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Rhinoplasty - or nasal surgery - can address the shape, appearance and function of your nose. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss in further detail. I suspect that the board certified facial plastic surgeon will also explore the function of your nose to ensure you have not experienced prolonged breathing issues after your car accident.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Can I Improve the Appearance of My Nose?

I'm sorry about your previous trauma. Your pictures are very limited but your wide, full, asymmetrical tip can be refined and the hanging columella lifted. A close examination of the scar in your tip skin will be necessary before recommendations are made.

Closed rhinoplasty for bulbous tip reduction

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish reduction of the bulbous tip with suture techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages are narrowed them. The flat spot can be augmented with a cartilage graft tucked in behind that portion of the tip. For more information and many examples, please see  the link and the video below

A "closed rhinoplasty" with tip refinement will improve your nose

Hello!

The bottom line is that surgery can give you significant improvement! Your is a situation of too much tip fullness and tip projection, as well as asymmetry. The underlying cartilages are misshapen and need to be reduced, refined and pulled back. While I can't see the bridge of your nose, you may benefit by raising the bridge for a straight profile - this will create better proportion and make your tip appear even more refined and petite. I recommend the "closed" technique which avoids a visible scar across the base of your nose, has a shorter recovery (about a week) as compared with the "open" method (a visible scar), and is very effective. The training, skill and judgment of the surgeon is the most important factor. 

All the best in your search!
- Dr. Rad

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Pictures alone cannot fully tell whether you would be a suitable candidate for a surgical procedures. I would suggest scheduling an in-person consultation with a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon with many years of rhinoplasty experience, as he/she can better evaluate your situation.