Implants or implants and lift? (Photo)

Hello, I'm a mom of 3 who breastfed her each baby (1st - 3 mths, 2nd 14 months, and 3rd 18 months). I've lost soooo much volume in my breasts now that I'm considering breast augmentation. I would like to know if ultra high profile implants would do the trick or do I need a breast lift as well as breast implants? Thanks

Breast implants or implants with a lift?

Dear rosered3,

Thank you for your clinical post and photograph. This is a common question to undergo a breast lift surgery with an implant or implants alone.

The advantage of the breast lift it will lift your glandular material to a perkier position on the chest wall. The disadvantage of the perioareolar and infra-areolar scars can be wide, discoloured and unattractive. The dream breast that you show are somewhat low in the chest wall with large volume which increases the projection and provides rotation of the nipple areolar complex. In my experience of 24 years in performing breast augment surgery many patients would like to avoid the breast lift scars if they at all can. To determine whether or not a breast lift and implant is required or a breast augmentation alone I recommend the Vectra 3D imaging and photo station.

I’ve been using this product for over 7 years and pioneered the use of pre-operative breast imaging using the Vectra 3D. Patients who are wondering whether to do a breast lift or breast augment alone can visualize different sized implants, projection, sizes and shapes and get an immediate three-dimensional simulation of the post-operative view. After studying my patients for nearly 7 years and presenting on this topic at international meetings of plastic surgeons, I can say that the simulated post-op is a very close representation of the kind of outcome you can expect. There is no substitution for three-dimensional photo imaging and deciding on what implant size and shape or whether to have a breast lift or augment alone.

I recommend a consultation with a centre experienced in the use of the Vectra 3D imaging system and have a look at the elevation, rotation and size and shape, volume and projection improvements that you can achieve with a breast implant alone. If after the Vectra 3D imaging you still feel your breasts are too low in the chest wall then a breast lift procedure may be your best operation.

I believe showing the kind of dream breast that you have represented that you can achieve this with a cohesive gel round high profile full projection implant. I’m sure you’ll get an excellent result, but do your research.

To find out more, please visit the link below. There is a 3D image simulation on the content page and to schedule a consultation simply click on one of the book a consultation forms or call the number and a client service representative will be with your promptly.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Lift might not be necessary

First, I must say that your breasts are in great shape after breastfeeding three children. I think you may not need a lift, as long as you decide on proportionately sized implants. An in-person consultation would be necessary to determine implant profile type.

Choosing the right surgery for you

There is no perfect answer as to which surgery to select.  Certainly trying to avoid scars is always the goal.  However, a nice shape usually supersedes avoiding scars from a cosmetic perspective.  IT is difficult without a consultation to truly advise you, but it is possible that you could get away without a mastopexy, or breast lift.  

With regards to choosing an implant a full implant that is wider rather than extremely projecting looks more natural and more beautiful.  There would be few times when I think that an ultrahigh profile would be a good choice.  You have some width to your breast.  That is good.  Now you just need to fill it out.  I would not try to alter it it look high and narrow.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training Program,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Hello. According to how I see the breasts in the picture, I think you need a high profile implants to fill the upper pole and also a lifting to give your breasts better projection.

Angel Alejandro Mora, MD

Implants or implants and lif

implants alone in your case, especially ultra-high profile, will certainly fill the skin envelope but might look a little bolted on. I do not think you will end up with your breast position being as high on the rib cage as your 'desire' photos, you would be lower than that, even with the ultra-high profile

Julio Garcia, MD

Breasts augmentation with mini lift

Dear Rose,
 Thanks for submitting your pictures and your goal picture. Front and side view pictures with your arms down, would have been very helpful.
In any event, you appear to be full B cup size with level 2 ptosis and large areolas. Your goal picture appears to be perky D cup size.
 You did not provide your chest circumference measurement in inches, which is critical for the correct implants size selection.
   Let;s assume that you are currently 34 B cup size. To become 34 D cup you will need implants with volume of 300 cc. For 36 D - 350 cc.
 Since your goal picture is quite perky, I would recommend a mini lift (donut) procedure , which will give you beautiful perky breasts and will avoid the areola from being stretched further.
 As far as implants type, in my over 28 years of practice, I used almost exclusively smooth, round, moderate profile saline implants made by mentor and I would recommend them to you too. The reasons are too many to mention in this session - check my photo gallery.
 Make sure to wait 6 months after stopping breasts feeding, otherwise you might have a problem with Galactorrhea ( milk leakage from the incision).
  Not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence and choose wisely.
 Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breasts augmentation mini lift procedures, in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage and round areolas,  perky, symmetrical and natural looking.
                                         Dr Widder

Lift with implants or implants alone? Ultra high profile?

You have relatively large breasts now, and your arms are lifted  in your  upright picture which raises your breasts somewhat. I would probably recommend a breast lift, with some removal of breast tissue inferiorly and a well positioned implant for superior pole fullness. An ultra high profile or even high profile implant will give you an overly round upper pole, and not produce your goal picture.  However an in person consultation would be necessary.  Some patients will prefer a less perky appearance to avoid the scars, and in that case, I would suggest subglandular placement, but not with an ultrahigh profile implant.

Not need incisons of a lift

It sounds like you had been bigger and you are looking to at least re-establish that look. Your breasts have deflated but your nipples still appear to above where the back of your breasts meet your chest wall. In that case an implant alone should be considered before subjecting you to the incisions of a lift.  If you are not happy with the result of the implants alone a lift can always be done at another surgery.  What profile and size implants are right for you can only be determined at consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Do you want to be even bigger?

If you're OK being bigger, then implants alone will work. To get more perkiness and stay the same size you would need a reduction-augmentation. Your breast tissue is removed, a lift is performed, and implants are placed. All in the same operation. You can do a reduction first and then place implants in a second surgery as well. Just depends on your goals.
If you're ok being even bigger then go with HP implants.

Wish Boobs

You could achieve a nice result with implants alone, but would need a lift (and scars) to achieve the shape of your wish boobs. Consider doing the implant alone, and then a lift only if shape or laxity remains a problem after surgery.

Michael Kreidstein, MD