I've had type1 for 7 years. I am interested in having a mommy makeover and possibly hip implants. Any good chance of recovery?

MM for a diabetic

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

Type 1 diabetes and surgery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Yes - if your diabetes is well controlled - with normal glucose levels and A1C levels.
  • Your plastic surgeon will probably want your regular doctor to clear your for surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Diabetes and plastic surgery

With well controlled diabetes and careful peri-operative monitoring, you can certainly have a great recovery and result from a mommy makeover. It is important that your HbA1C is near normal, reflecting good long-term control of your blood sugar, and it is important that your glucose remains tightly controlled while you recover. You are at increased risk for problems like infection and slower wound healing, but I have operated on many diabetics with well-controlled disease and have been very pleased with their outcomes. Be sure to seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon with experience working with Type 1 Diabetic patients. Best of luck to you! 

Amy M. Sprole, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Type 1 Diabetes?

Good morning!

I assume you mean type one diabetes.  Short answer is yes- with well controlled diabetes, a mommy makeover is certainly safe and possible.  I have performed MM on several type 1 patients both with insulin pumps and without- and with careful monitoring in a hospital setting they have all done extremely well.

Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for your rejuvenation.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS