I am scheduled for a tummy tuck Sept 30th. I had breast implants 10 yrs ago....no fear. I had a c-section 27 yrs ago.

I have wanted this surgery for 26 yrs. I am afraid of death. I have a 13 yr old who is my life. When I had my implants done 10 yrs ago I was in recovery and one of them broke. I had to go back under to fix my implant...my heart rate was out of control of fear. I know we are monitored closely. I am 104 pounds and fit...my problem is this loose skin from gaining and loosing. How can I reassure myself I will be coming home. I am torn. Thanks

Nervous before tummy tuck surgery

Its very normal to feel anxious and uncertain prior to surgery.  All procedures, big or small, carry a risk of complications.  Risks can be minimised by ensuring your surgeon is a fully qualified plastic surgeon with extensive experience and by closely following your pre and post operative guidelines.  If you anxiety continues to escalate, arrange another appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns so you can feel reassured leading into surgery.

Surgery and anxiety

Everyone gets nervous before surgery.  This is normal. Anesthesia and surgery are safe, but yes there are risks.  Good luck.

Greetings

Thank you for your question, this is normal to feel anxious before your surgery if you are in good medical health then you have nothıng to worry about and if you have chosen the rıght Dr then you are in safe heads.

Best of luck for your surgery.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Nervous before Surgery

It's normal to feel anxious before surgery. Perhaps it would help if you had scheduled another appointment before your surgery with your PS  to review your procedure. This should alleviate some of your fears and help you feel comfortable with your surgery.

Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Fear

It is normal to be nervous before any surgery, and it makes you a better patient. I likely means that you have been hearing your surgeon and will be following all advice to minimize your risks pre and post operatively. Everything in life has some inherent risk and likely you are more vulnerable on the highway. Share your concerns with our doctor so that they can be put into perspective.  If it is too stressful cancel or postpone until you are in the right place.Never feel pressured into surgery. A good PS will help you through it and understand.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

This is completely normal to feel before your surgery. Fear, anxiety, nerves.. they all start to kick in. You chose your surgeon because you obviously feel comfortable with them and trust them, that is how they feel about their anesthesiologist. General anesthesia is actually quite safe and the anesthesiologist monitors you continuously while you are under and if any complications arise they can adjust your medications, breathing, temperature, fluids and blood pressure as needed. Try to relax and think positive! I hope this helps.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nervous before surgery

It is totally normal to feel nervous before surgery. You may feel better speaking to your surgeon again before the planned surgery. Sometimes just going over all that is to come can be reassuring. Assuming you have not had problems with anesthesia in the past, you can expect a safe experience. 

Best Wishes,

Pre-surgery anxiety

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very common to be nervous before surgery.  I always tell my patients to call me or come into the office to see me again before surgery whenever they are nervous.  It can be extremely helpful and reassuring to see your surgeon again.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Jitters before surgery

It is normal to be nervous before surgery.  Remind yourself why you have chosen to proceed with surgery- you are doing something nice for yourself that you have waited many years to do.  On your surgery day you will be with an entire team of trained medical professionals whose #1 priority is your safety.  The surgery you are considering is very low risk and anesthesia today is considered very safe.  Discuss your fears with your surgeon and your anesthesiologist.  If need be, an anti anxiety medication may help you.

Camille Cash, MD

Nervous before surgery

It is normal to have those concerns and fears. But the chance of having a serious complication like death is less than getting into a fatal car accident. And you get in the car many times a day. Hopefully you have taken the time to choose a surgeon who has good credentials and reviews. And hopefully your surgeon operates out of a facility that is accredited and safe. You could certainly inquire about this with the surgeon. Finally, if you feel reassured but are still having problems with your imagination running away with you, ask your surgeon for a prescription for Ativan or Xanax to help take the edge off. Good luck.