I got labiaplasty and a hood reduction just over a week ago, and there's an opening where the stitches dissolved. Is it normal?

So it's been a week and 5 days since my surgery and my labias are healing nicely but my concern is my clitoral area. The stitches they say would dissolve on their own and i think some of it has around the top, but it looks like it left an bit of an opening at the top were it dissolved. Is this normal? will it heal and close on its own?

Sutures Post-Op

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. This swelling could be part of the reason for your concerns with your sutures. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Now, since it has only been about two weeks since surgery you may need a little more time for the sutures to dissolve and heal, but if you are feeling ant concerns or discomfort you should not hesitate to visit your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Good luck!

Without a photo, it is difficult to give recommendations on how to proceed. Most often, small incisional separations can be treated with local wound care and will heal normally on their own.  An evaluation by your surgeon is best to ensure that wound healing is progressing as expected and to determine if there are any other steps that you may need to take moving forward. 

Wound healing following labiaplasty

The labia heal very well following labiaplasty.  Even if you have a small wound opening, it is not likely to delay healing much.  Probably it will heal without consequence.

David Stoker, MD

Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.   Without photographs and a physical examination, it is challenging to determine if additional surgery would be necessary or if the wound would close on its own.  I would recommend going to your surgeon for an assessment.  Good luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Is it normal to have an opening in the incision a week after labiaplasty and hood reduction?

Dear Aks_Marshall,Thank you for writing in with your question. It is common for sutures to start dissolving about a week after surgery.  Small openings can appear and they usually heal on their own.  The need for a revision certainly depends on the size and location of the opening and how it heals.  I hope this information is helpful.Sincerely,Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOGCosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

No photo

Thanks for sharing but it is impossible to assess your situation without a photo or two. If there is a split in the incision it will heal on its own.  Placing sutures at this time will not be of benefit.  See your surgeon for other recommendations.

Opening after labiaplasty

The incisions should be still closed after a week.  It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on without a picture.  My recommendations to follow up with your surgeon for an an evaluation.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Wound separations are never normal, but not always serious

Wound separations always heal, but depending on the size and location, they may leave residual scarring and might require revision. Without a photo, it's not possible to determine the significance of your problem.

Need a PIC

Thank you for sharing but we need a picture to better understand and visualize what you are referring to.Please re submit with pic.
Thanks

I got a labiaplasty and a hood reduction a week ago and there's an opening where the stitches dissolved. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your labiaplasty.  It is difficult to offer definite advice without a full series of photographs, but in most cases of a small incision separation the body will fill in the hole from the inside-out without materially affecting your long-term outcome.  See your surgeon for an in-person examination, they can best help you with wound care instructions.