I would like to find a surgeon in the Toronto area who will perform rhinoplasty under a local anesthesia?

Rhinoplasty under local anesthesia is a very bad idea

Performing rhinoplasty under local anesthesia is a very bad idea for multiple reasons.  It is very difficult, if not impossible to get the nose completely numb for the procedure due to the many nerve endings in the nose.  In addition, blood will be pooling down the back of the throat during the procedure.  Patients will also have conscious awareness of the nose bones being broken during the procedure which will be extremely painful, uncomfortable and impossible to get completely numb.  Look for a surgeon who performs rhinoplasty under general anesthesia by a board certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort.

Rhinoplasty under local

I do not know anyone who will perform a full rhinoplasty under straight local. You are probably best to get at least sedation.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty under IV sedation and Local anesthetic

Hello;Depending on the patients' anxiety level and the expected complexity of the rhinoplasty I perform approximately 50% of my septorhinoplasties under local anesthesia with IV sedation.A formal consultation would be necessary though.Feel free to review our website. Thank you 

Rhinoplasty under local

Thank you for your question.It is really in yours and the surgeon’s best interest to have you under general anesthesia for this procedure because rhinoplasty is a very precise surgery and requires the surgeons undivided attention. The last thing you want is the surgeon being disrupted because you are uncomfortable or experiencing pain. If you are under general anesthesia, it is a much safer option and the anesthesiologist monitors you continuously while you are under and if any complications arise they can adjust your medications, breathing, temperature, fluids and blood pressure as needed. This takes it off of the surgeon and his RN’s/technicians so they can completely focus on the procedure itself. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Major procedures of the face , such as Rhinoplasty-in my opinion are most safely performed under general anesthesia. The first principle of all surgery especially cosmetic surgery –is safety and comfort of the patient. If the patient is comfortable and pain free- then and only then can the surgeon perform his or her tasks most satisfactorily. If the patient is uncomfortable and experiencing pain and the only tool the surgeon has to relieve this pain is to administer additional local anesthesia then not only is the procedure compromised but the patient’s safety as well.