I am very self conscious about my nose and was wondering if Rhinoplasty would be the best? I have a dorsal hump. (photo)

Closed rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump which is composed of both bone and cartilage.  Once the hump has been removed, osteotomies are required to be placed in the nasal bones to narrow the bridgeline and close the open roof created from the hump removal.  For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Dorsal hump removal.

Hi Sparkie, from your foto it appears that you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  Part of that procedure would involve removing the bump however it is uncommon to only remove the bump. Usually other things need to be done to give the most natural result.. This would be explained in detail during a consultation and after you should understand the procedure and what needs to be done. If you do not and the surgeon cannot clearly explain what needs to be done this would indicate that he or she may not be the best surgeon for the procedure.  A surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty will be able to explain the procedure so that you completely understand it.  Good luck.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a Dorsal Hump

If your dorsal hump bothers you, a rhinoplasty surgery could straighten your profile.  I suggest you find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and who has years of experience operating on the face, not just the body, because a one-millimeter difference of the face is extremely evident, whereas a one-millimeter difference on the body is less noticeable.  Read his or her reviews, study his or her hospital affiliations and educational background.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Very self conscious about my nose and was wondering if Rhinoplasty would be the best?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is rhinoplasty the best?

Thank you for your question and picture.  Schedule a consultation with a reputable board certified facial plastic surgeon. The main goal of a reputable facial plastic surgeon is to listen to a patient's concerns and discuss the treatment plan that can address these concerns.  Find a reputable surgeon in your geographical area and discuss with them what bothers you.  Best of luck! 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph.I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photograph you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon