Can I get cohesive gel breast implants before I turn 18?

I currently wear a push-up 30C/D. I have asymmetrical breast. I had an accident when I was 8 years old that resulted in my right breast to be damaged. I was cut deeply across my chest with the right breast getting the worst of it. The scar has faded overtime but the breast hasn't grown much since. I would really like to have proportionate breast before I go to college in September. But I want cohesive gel implants not saline. P.S. My mother supports me 100% with this decision.

Surgery Before 18?

Thank you for your question! You will not have any luck finding a board certified plastic surgeon who will operate on you if your not 18.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants are possible for reconstructive surgery at any age.

Although FDA regulations specify that silicone implants are only for use in cosmetic procedures after age 22, these restrictions are lifted for cases of reconstructive surgery. I recommend visiting a board certified plastic surgeon who routinely performs reconstructive breast augmentation, as there may be factors that make this surgery more complex than the average cosmetic enhancement, such as the presence of scar tissue from your accident. It’s also possible that your health insurance plan may cover some portion of the reconstructive procedure—do check with your provider about their terms, and find a surgeon whose staff is willing to walk you through the process of filing claims and helping you throughout the process.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Breast reconstruction

Because your breast was damaged when you were younger, chances are your procedure would be considered reconstructive and would therefore be covered by OHIP. Size asymmetry could be addressed with the placement of a breast implant. Best of luck.

Cohesive gel implants for 18yo patients

Yes, you can have cohesive gel implants.  Your case may well be considered a breast reconstruction which would mean two things to you: 1) your medical insurance may pay for the procedure and 2) the use of gel implants in 18 yo patients for breast reconstruction is considerel an "on label" use of the device (in the US and I believe in Canada as well).

The use of silicone gel implants (including cohesive gel implants) in the US for patients aged 18-22 undergoing cosmetic breast augmentation is often misunderstood.  The FDA approved siliocne implants for comsetic breast augmentation for women aged 22 and above.  The use of these devices for patients 18-22 is considered an "off label" use of the device.  Patient and surgeon should discuss the pros and cons of off label use of implants (or any other medication or device) but there is nothing inherently illegal or neferious about an off label use of a medical device

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Cohesive gel implants for breast deformity in an 18-year-old

Thank you for your question.  Because you had a breast injury and have a significant defect of your breast you should be eligible for cohesive gel breast implants at age 18.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in breast augmentation surgery in your area.

Cohesive gel implants in an 18 year old

Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. After examining you, they will discuss implant options and likely have you hold and feel the various implants available. Given the history of your accident at age 8 and its effect on your breast, silicone implants should certainly be an option for you. Review the pros and cons of cohesive gels implants along with the other types with you surgeon. We've found the use of Vectra 3 D imaging to be one of the tools helpful in allowing patients to decide on implant type, shape and size. Good luck and hope all works out well for you!

Gel implants before 18

Thank you for your breast implant question.

• I am sorry about your childhood accident and resulting asymmetry.
  • And glad your Mom supports you!
  • Most surgeons - myself included - would recommend gel implants in your situation
  • Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as soon as you can find time -
  • That way you can be ready for college in the fall, without feeling self-conscious. Best wishes.

Silicone implants in patients under the age of 22

The FDA supports the use of silicone gel implants in patients over the age of 22. But there are exceptions to the FDA recommendations in cases of congenital deformities or other conditions in which saline implants are contraindicated. My best advice is to discuss the issue with your surgeon and the implant representative who will be providing the implants. It will be in your best interest to have the implants approved specifically for your use so that the warranties will be effective in your case. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cohesive gel implants and 18

The FDA recommends that gel implant be reserved for women 22 years of age or older. I have not used them on younger patients as of this time.

Gel and age

For correction of deformities such as your developmental deformity secondary to trauma, gel is absolutely an option.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD