High Profile vs. Moderate? Any suggestions? (photos)

I am looking for some honest advice. I am 5ft tall approx 160lbs. Getting Lollipop lift with implants. Had my mind made up I was going hp 485cc saline under the muscle. Had a 2nd consult with PS this week and he recommended a moderate profile instead. I would like to be a D or DD cup size. I am afraid moderate will feel smaller than I want. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

High Profile VS Moderate

Moderate profile implants are much more round than High Profile implants of the same volume.  Your breasts look somewhat narrow and the moderate may stick out too much on the side and lead to a significant chance for rippling.  I would suggest a Moderate Plus profile which should give you the roundness that you want as well as the projection and fulfill your desire for a D or DD cup.

Weston Plastic Surgeon

Think Projection, Not Size

Thanks for your question. It's important to remember that an implant's profile refers to how much it projects from the body. When selecting an implant, many surgeons will match the base width of the implant to the base width of your breast and chest wall. This parameter is important, as an implant that is too narrow will not fill out the breast properly, and an implant that is too wide may distort and damage the breast itself. As projection of each style of implant increases, while maintaining appropriate base width, the implant volumes must increase. More projection means more forward lift and visibility, and by necessity, more volume. Excessively projecting breast implants may result in breasts that look more “augmented”, and artificial, and can even lead to thinning of breast tissue and poor soft tissue support over time. Bra size is only one measure of beauty when it comes to breasts, and many feel that shape and proportion to the rest of your figure are actually more important goals with respect to breast augmentation. I can't say for sure which profile would be right for you without an in-person consultation. It may not be a bad idea to consult with a third surgeon for a "tiebreaker" answer. As an alternative, moderate-plus profile implants, which fall between moderate- and high-profile, may be a good compromise. Best of luck with your decision.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with lift, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 550ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

High profile versus moderate profile breast implants

Dear Boobenvy44,
Although you run the risk of getting a third different opinion (like Moderate Plus Profile), I would recommend a third consultation.  Tell the third consultant what the previous two plastic surgeons offered.  He/she should be able to either agree with one, or offer their reasons a third approach.  If you are comfortable with one of the surgeons that you have already seen, go back to them and discuss the other opinion.  Good luck!

Projection Options

Thank you for your question and photos. My patients find it helpful to try on implant sizers with a form-fitting T-Shirt in the office in order to get an idea of their results. Bra sizing varies quite a bit between manufacturers so we cannot promise a cup size, but if your surgeon gave you a small selection of size options which fit your breast base width properly, choosing the size/profile that you like the look of the best is up to you. If you would like to have more upper pole fullness, then a higher profile may be more suitable in achieving your expectations. A moderate profile could provide you with a more natural upper pole. Ask your Plastic Surgeon or their staff to help guide your choice.
All the best

Implant shape

Choosing the implant shape depends upon the goals of the patient in terms of size, and their overall anatomy.   Many times I use moderate plus or HP, but I have used other profiles as well. 

Breast implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, shape, and profile of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implant projection

Thank you for your question and photographs.When it comes down to it, your doctor will give you his recommendations but ultimately, unless it could potentially be a risk to your health, the decision is up to you. The difference between moderate and high profile is the projection of the implant, not the size. High profile usually looks best on women with a small frame and narrow chest whereas moderate will look better on someone with a wider chest.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

HP or Moderate profile implants

I feel you are a good candidate for a lollipop lift with implants. I try to base my decision on which implants to use, on the base diameter of the breasts, and the size the patient wants to be. You have a significant amount of tissue going in to the surgery and appear fairly wide base, so usually a moderate plus profile would be my choice. HP I use when a narrow base wants to go larger and can not make the wider mod plus diameter work. You also look asymmetric by photos and may need different size implants or different amounts of saline in the implants. For sizing, look online at photos of women who start with your volume, and you like their results. That should assist in helping the surgeon pick an implant. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Moderate versus high-profile

With your dimensions, and with that size of implant, the difference between moderate and high-profile is not going to be whether you think it is smaller or larger, rather a difference will be whether you feel that the breast is more projecting or less projecting.    You should choose to look you want, but I do not think the size will be very different based on my experience.