Help is it infected , 6 days post op? (Photo)

It has been 6 days since my surgery, I still continue to have a horrible pain (feels like burning/itching) . I'm still not able to walk properly let alone sit! The swelling has stayed the same even though I've been icing it constantly! I clean it twice a day and every time I go to the washroom with water and soap as I was told. Please let me know if this is normal or if it is infected!! Thank you!

Swelling for the first week after labiaplasty

Swelling is not uncommon after labiaplasty and affects some women more than others. It's not possible to check for infection from photos, but there are no obvious signs that I can see. Try lying down with a pillow under your buttocks and minimize prolonged sitting or standing. It should improve quickly.

Difficult recovery

It sounds like you are having a difficult recovery. While each patient heals differently and has a different pain tolerance, it is rare for my patients to be in such pain as you describe. Prescribed pain medication should help alleviate your discomfort; anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen work very well. I suggest you see your surgeon about this and have it examined to make sure everything is okay.

Infection after labiaplasty

is quite rare and unless you are experiencing increasing and spreading redness, increasing pain, and fevers, its unlikely.  But your photos are very difficult to appreciate just how your procedure was done or what was done.  Best to check with your surgeon (which I hope you have done by now) for reassurances that you are doing 'fine'.  Your swelling is not excessive and if your pains are getting less and less daily, its likely you are staying the course.

Curtis Wong, MD

Healing after Labiaplasty

This appears to be normal healing.  The first week is usually the worst.

To be sure, return to see your surgeon or see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a post op evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Labioplasty

Dear Petradutea,

It is expected to have a significant amount of swelling and sensitivity following a reduction labiaplasty. In general, the region can look extremely swollen and tender six days postoperatively and the advice of your surgeon to do frequent gentle cleansing is very appropriate. Certainly, if you have fever and chills, elevated heart rates and sweats, combined with the sensitivity, there may be a minor postoperative incisional or wound infection.

The best advice at this time would be go back to see your operative surgeon to rule out infection and to be reassured that the post-operative course is expected. Presumably your surgeon put you on a prophylactic antibiotic and this will have helped reduce the incidence of infection.

I hope this advice helps, best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD