How do you handle patients who have pre existing medical conditions? How do I find a doctor to help me with breast augmentation?

I have always wanted breast augmentation but I have long qt syndrome so lidocaine and general anesthesia can always be a little bit risky. It would have to be in a hospital scenario etc. I am very adamant that I want to do this, it's just going to be tough to find a surgeon who would do this for me. Any suggestions?

Medical Clearance For BBA

I recommend that you seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon whom you are comfortable with and discuss the procedure with them and your primary care physician or cardiologist. They will likely be able to work together to ensure your safety.

All the best 

Find the right surgeon to help with BA

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

Cardiac issues

Your surgeon needs to work closely with your cardiologist and anaesthesiologist to come up with a plan to manage things safely which is all achievable - general anaesthetic is the safest because you can minimise local anaesthesia use if needed

Medical Conditions

Most physicians will require medical clearance from your PCP and cardiologist. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Providing your medical records will be helpful. 

Best of luck to you!

Medical clearance

I perform my breast augmentations in the hospital under general with the same anesthesiologists and OR team. We have an internist in our office who medically clears all of our patients before surgery which would also require an additional cardiology clearance.

We do not have to use lidocaine as the surgery is under general anesthesia.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Breast augmentation Medical Clearance.

As Plastic surgeons we have the unusual role of electively putting people at risk. We always have to weigh the risk versus the benefit. Whoever becomes your PS will want to communicate with your internist, cardiologist and possibly anesthesiologist to help determine the relative risk to you. This information may help to determine where to have the surgery, such as inpatient or surgery center -- or even to have it at all.

Any competent board certified PS will be able to help you make an informed decision.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Patient safety

The most important aspect in our decision to operate or not in a purely elective situation, such as breast augmentation, is your safety. Your plastic surgeon will most likely ask you to have a medical clearance with an EKG after taking your medical history. There are surgeons who can operate for elective cases in a hospital setting but the cost to you may be higher. I would do your research and schedule a consultation with one or more board certified plastic surgeons and make your decision based upon what they advise you to do.

I wish you well

Dr. Edwards

Safety first in surgery...after that make sure you pick the best surgeon for you.

• The most important thing in considering surgery is whether it can be done safely.  Lots of people have health concerns but with recognition and planning surgery can be done without complications.  Make sure that you have an anaesthesia consultation and if you have a cardiologist then get their approval to proceed.
  • As far as picking the best surgeon, make sure of the following:
  • --that they take the time to help you pick the best choice of implants to match your want your surgery customized. There are several steps I take to make sure that patients get the perfect implant.  I think this is important and the reason I have never needed to change someone's implants after surgery to a different size.
  • --that they see you more than once to thoroughly explain the surgery and address any concerns that you have...that they don't pressure you to sign on the dotted line.  You should feel that your care and results are the most important thing to your surgeon, not your money.
  • --that you think they will be there to support you before, during and after surgery.
  • --in your case that they can do the surgery for you in a hospital setting.
  • --finally that they will give you perfect beautiful breasts after surgery.
  • Dr. Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville serving patients in Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Burlington, Milton, Hamilton, and the GTA.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the only plastic surgeons in Canada with 5 star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD, and Ontario Doctor Review. He is the Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Long QT Syndrome and elective surgery

Long QT is a problem when not recognised before surgery, but with knowledge of your condition the appropriate precautions (including anesthesia consultation pre-op) would be taken before and after your surgery in hospital.  

Michael Kreidstein, MD