Just had gynecomastia surgery today. I'm home now, and wondering about hematoma- ie. How much of an emergency it is?

I had a fair amount of bleeding on the left side, and have had to soak it up over last few hrs. But because I have a compression vest, and padding etc on, I can't really look at my chest to check for possible hematoma. It hurts, but how much is it supposed to hurt? My follow up apt is in 2 days. So I guess my question is: how much of an emergency is a hematoma?? If I do have one, and I doing any harm by waiting until my dr apt (in 2 days)? And how much does it hurt? How can I tell if I have?

Post-Op Healing from Gynecomastia

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary. Seroma or hematoma is always a risk from surgery, and if you find yourself concerned or uncomfortable be sure to visit your surgeon in person as soon as possible (if you can advance your appointment to ensure the healing process it would be a good idea). 

Additionally, although the doctor will make every effort to give you a “perfect” result, the area of excess tissue removal may end up with a contour that is slightly too high or too low. You may feel the “edge” around the areolar dissection. Massage and time (4-6 months) usually eliminates or reduces this problem, if it occurs. So, make sure to attend your post-op appointment and make sure what will be best to care for your specific case. Good luck!

Hematoma?

If you are concerned about how you are healing, then you need to see your surgeon or at least call him. Best of luck.