FUT hair transplant + scarves - yes or no?

I am almost 1 month post of my FUT Hair Transplant procedure and I've been told that within the 2nd week the hair grafts are placed and I am able to wear hats, head scarves (satin), etc. on my head. I've opted into wearing satin head scarves to cover my transplanted area until I notice a sufficient amount of growth to wear my hair out. Will me wearing head scarves to cover the area in away hurt my chances of getting GREAT results or affect my grafts?? Help.

Hair transplant

Dear j0y24,

By one month follicular unit extraction transplant grafts are well stabilized in the recipient bed. There is enough collagen matrix that the follicular unit grafts will not be disrupted by wearing a scarf or any head wear for that matter.

There may be some shedding of the hair shafts of the donor grafts as a result of Telogen Effluvium, but generally these will grow back by 3-6 months. The two-phase growth exhibited after FUE transplantation, the first phase being immediate hair shaft growth while a small minority of the hair is followed and grow at 6 months. By one year your final density should be observed and best of luck. I’m sure you’ll end up with an excellent result.
We specialize in follicular unit extraction and transplantation and have been doing this for in an automated and robotic fashion longer than any clinic in Canada. FUE grafts are generally very stable and if you’ve got good growth at this point you can anticipate a great result. You may think to add some Minoxidil serum or other topical nutrient shampoos to enhance the follicular representation and growth.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

1 month post-op FUT

1 month out from FUT hair transplant you are free to wear anything on you head that you like.   By this time transplanted grafts should be well seeded and although they may have shed their hairs, new hairs will still grow in no matter what hat or scarf you wear. 

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

After the second weeks from having an FUE

You can wear anything you like on your head. Everything should be well healed by this time. Don't worry much about what you wear.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hats and scarves after hair transplant

Thanks for this question.  Often patients are eager to hide any work done. In the case of hair transplant, a hat or scarf can do the job perfectly without compromising the result.  An important word of advice is to make sure any hat or scarf you use is clean, ideally recently washed.

You should check with your hair transplant surgeon and follow your doctor's recommendation for your particular case

Best of luck with your recovery from Manhattan.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Wearing head scarves post transplant

Dear J0y24

Be sure to check with your surgeon for final verification on appropriate post op care.

However, there is generally no problem wearing scarves or hats at one month post op.

The type of hair loss you have, whether the transplant was done at the right stage, your age, how many grafts you had, how they were handled, how your grafts were harvested and how meticulous you were in post op care - these are the factors that affect great results.

You can wear whatever you want

We see alot of people that always have this same question, whether it be man or woman. After 1 month you are definitely clear to wear whatever you want on your head and over the grafts. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can wear a scarf two weeks after FUE hair transplant surgery.

You can wear a scarf two weeks after FUE hair transplant surgery.  If you are concerned by this, you can always give your doctor a call.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon