Flat spot on back of skull - other than an implant is there any other option to fill the depression?

I have a flat spot on the back of my head which makes my hair appear thinner and overall is not an attractive look. i would rather not get an implant because of risk of rupture and silicone leakage and a larger incision on the hair line. I have heard PMMA is the only other option, but what if my body rejects it? Since this isn't a common procedure, I am skeptical. Is PMMA my only other option, and if so, is it safe? Can this be done under local and what is the incision like?

Flat spot

An alternative to an implant is fat grafting - Harvesting fat from one area of your body and then injecting it into the flat area.  This avoids have a foreign body in the area as well as limits scarring (only small needle injection sites).  The downside is that more than one session may be required.  I recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area.  Have a blessed day!

Pasadena Physician

Cranial Augmentation

PMMA can be made into a patient specific plate with 3D modeling now.  These are good fits for such issues.  There is also the option of a cranioplasty with a combination of trinity bone graft, PLLA, PRP, a small iliac crest bone graft, BMP, and stem cells.  The second option has the advantage of turning into your own bone. You would anesthesia for both procedures.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon