Can you fix an umbilical hernia during tummy tuck surgery? I don't want to have to do 2 separate surgeries (Photo)

I have an umbilical hernia and was told there's a possibility it can't be fixed at the time of surgery and I may have to wait for my diastasis to heal first and then repair the hernia after.

Hernia

it can absolutely be fixed. do it all the time......................................................

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical Hernia Repair during Tummy Tuck

Yes, your umbilical hernia can be repaired during your tummy tuck. Be sure to consult with a surgeon who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery regarding your procedures.

John M. Trupiano, MD, FACS
Troy Plastic Surgeon

Can be fixed together.

Greetings 

Thank you for your question, Hernia can be fixed during Tummy tuck in one operation you dont need to wait for healing you can fix the sametime.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck): Information

Dear Ms.  SweetRemmy,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately with out a exam of your tissues I can can only comment based your photos.

Both the diastasis and umbilical hernia repair are completed in conjunction with a abdominoplasty( tummy tuck).

+ the excess lower abdominal skin will be excised and the skin over the diastasis repair will lay down smooth
+/- you will have a single supra public (covered by a bathing suit bottom and possible peri umbilical incision that is concealed by its location. Often the umbilical hernia can be repaired without making a peri umbilical incision.

Many Plastic Surgeons are dual Bd. Cert. (Both General and Plastic Surgery) and by their training and experience are abel to repair both your umbilical hernia and diastasis.
I trust your Plastic Surgeon is Certified by the Am. Bd. Of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Can you fix an umbilical hernia during tummy tuck surgery? I don't want to have to do 2 separate surgeries

Dear SweetRemy,

The repair of an umbilical hernia is easily done as part of the midline muscle repair done during an abdominoplasty. There is no reason to have two separate procedures. The repair of the umbilical hernia is also part of the "skill-set" of a board certified plastic surgeon and repair should not lengthen your recovery period. Good luck.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

The umbilical hernia as well as the diastasis repair can both be done at the same time as your tummy tuck. That would be fine to do and lessen the double recovery time

Julio Garcia, MD

Umbilical Hernia and Tummy Tuck

Yes, an umbilical hernia can often be repaired during a tummy tuck procedure.  On occasion it may be appropriate to obtain the assistance of a general surgeon for placement of mesh so you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia and Tummy Tuck

Hello, and thank you for your question.

An umbilical hernia can easily be repaired at the same time as a tummy tuck. I repair these quite routinely with tummy tucks.

Seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss the procedure.

Absolutely. Repairing an umbilical hernia is a very common occurrence when doing a tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for consultation.

Umbilical hernia repair & tummy tuck

Yes, you can fix your umbilical hernia during your tummy tuck procedure. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD