How to fix my dorsal hump? Crooked/broken nose (Photo)

I'm a 21 year old who hates my dorsal hump. It makes my nose look broken, hooked from the side, and crooked from the front. The tip is bulby/droopy. Since I was 11 years old, i felt my nose was big so i started pressing down on the bridge.. it has become a habit that i continue till today. Did I break it or make it look crooked on my own by applying pressure on it? What need to be done to fix it? I cant afford surgery will insurance/ohip cover this? Will fillers help? what is cost in toronto?

Changing the shape of your nose

You did not cause any damage to your nose. A rhinoplasty including shaving down your very prominent dorsum, lateral bony osteotomies and changing your tip shape and direction as well as shortening your nose with caudal septal trim will produce a nice result. You need an in person consultation. Fillers will only make your nose look bigger even if straighter for a few months, also they will no change the appearance of your tip. Good luck!

Rhinoplasty is Your Answer

When you have consultation, the doctor will check the internal structures and make sure they have not been weakened by any drug history. Looks like you are a good candidate and I would encourage you to have the consultations with cosmetic nasal surgery superspecialists. There are several in Toronto.

Best Wishes.

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

How to fix my dorsal hump? Crooked/broken nose

Only Rhinoplasty can improve the nose. In the right hands you should expect a really pleasing outcome. For more info you can view the video attached

Rhinoplasty

The best way to improve the appearance of your nose would be to undergo a rhinoplasty. That would give you are permanent solution to your large hump and deviation. Best of luck.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nose

Saraym, you need surgery to have an acceptable outcome. It is very important that you see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces". Look for many good photos on their web site. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump correction

Great questions. A rhinoplasty surgery is the only way to definitively correct your dorsal hump. Fillers in the right candidate can mask the hump but this is a temporary solution, and in the end will end up more costly. As a local facial plastic surgeon I can tell you that OHIP will not cover a rhinoplasty for purely cosmetic concerns. However, if there is an obstructed breathing component to your nasal concerns, a portion of the surgery can be covered which can offset some of the cost to you. Rest assured you did not break your nose by pressing on it. Seek out a consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon who is a certified Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons for an assessment and expert guidance. All the best,

Dr. Brace

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to fix my dorsal hump? Crooked/ broken nose

The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. The nasal bones are also crooked which requires osteotomy's to close the open roof after the hump removal and straighten and narrow the nasal bones. Removal of the dorsal hump is considered cosmetic surgery, and is not covered under medical insurance because there is no medical necessity. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Based on the photographs you have posted, I believe you would benefit from a dorsal hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty to correct your bulbous tip. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. This is considered “cosmetic” so it would not be covered by insurance but if you have any trouble breathing, snorting etc you may also need a septoplasty which is considered “medically necessary” and would be covered by insurance. If finances are an issue for you, I would look into payment plans that the office offers such as CareCredit. This can be applied for online and you can make monthly affordable payments each month until you pay off your procedure. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon