I'm having a lower eyelid surgery on August 27th. But I'm soooo scared of the pain and recovery. (photos)

Hi im having a lower eyelid surgery on august 27 th But im soooo scared of the pain and recovery time and the long term results Should i go for it and do it or cancel it for the 3rd time Please help Thank u

Aftercare for eyelid surgery

Thank you for your question. I completely understand your nervousness towards to surgery. Eyelid surgery is very popular nowadays and as it can be done under local anaesthetic, recovery time is dramatically reduced. As with any surgery there will be a degree of pain but mod of my patients have told me it is very minimal and mostly due to the local anaesthetic which is administered to numb the area. This is all over within a few minutes. After the operation you will have stitches and will be slightly red and swollen. To help you with aftercare and to make you feel more comfortable, Witch hazel is ideal for reducing swelling and soothing the eye area. Soak a sterilised cotton pad and place in the fridge, once it is cool just sit down, relax and place on your eyes. Do this as many times as you can and you will feel much more contented. I wish you good luck in your procedure.

Recovery after eyelid surgery

Everyone's perception of pain is different, but eyelid surgery is generally very well tolerated. Also, every doctor performs the procedure slightly differently, but I never prescribe narcotics. I tell everyone to take Tylenol every 4-6 hours after the procedure, and most patients tell me that they stopped taking Tylenol after the 2nd or 3rd day. Rather than cancel for the third time - talk to your doctor and describe your concerns. After you talk to your doctor, reassess what would be the best way to proceed.

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lids surgery

It is up to you to decide if you want to go through with it.  Most eye lid surgery patients do no really have a lot of pain. They are more likely to have swelling and bruising.

LOWER BLEPHAROPLASTY FEAR

If you are that afraid of the procedure then I advise against it. It is an elective, cosmetic procedure but it has potential risks and complications associated with it. Unless you are not able to accept the risk of prolonged recovery, deformity, eye injury etc. then you are not ready for the procedure.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid surgery

Lower eyelid surgery is not painful after the procedure.  Most patients in our practice take a few medium strength pain relievers like Vicodin for the first 2 days after the procedure.   Some patient's just take Tylenol. Anticipate 2 weeks of visible bruising and swelling.  Its important to make sure that  Your surgeon is using a trans-conjunctival approach with the incision placed completely on the inside of the eyelids.  We perform lower eyelid surgery under general anesthesia by a board certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort.  For many eyelid surgery before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty

Thank you for sharing your concerns. From your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for blepharoplasty. In the hands of an experienced eyelid specialist, you should do very well with surgery. The pain, swelling and bruising are short-lived. Hopefully, you find the results worth the mild discomfort. I hope this helps.  Good luck,

This surgery should be very comfortable and the recovery is not hard.

Perhaps you are not comfortable with your surgeon or what is being proposed for surgery.   Surgery for your should be performed behind the eyelid.  The surgeon should be conserving the lower eyelid fat and moving them into the under eye circle to help with the volume.  I would most definitely be concerned if the surgeon is proposing to do the surgery through an incision on the skin under the eyelashes.  You do not have excess skin in the lower eyelid.  You may have an orrbiclaris roll at the eyelid margin but this should not be cut out by the surgeon and thrown in the trash.  Surgery should be performed under light intravenous sedation in an accredited operating room.  It should not be performed under general anesthesia.  I strongly recommend listening too you feels.  Some part of your brain is telling you that something is not right.  How will you feel if you don't listen to these feelings and then have a problem after surgery?