Can under eye injections be done to the entire under eye or only to the tear troughs?

I was wondering if Restylane is better/longer lasting for under eye injection that voluma? Also, can it be injected to the ENTIRE under eye or are injections usually done at the tear trough only? Specially if you've got thick veins under the eyes. Thank you very much.

Injection of Restylane in tear troughs

Thank you for asking your question. I am not sure what the "entire under eye" area refers to. Almost all of my patients who request fillers have Restylane injected into the tear troughs. Above the tear troughs is not common, but below in the cheek region is common. Oculoplastic Surgeon specialize in eyelid procedures. Make sure your injections are performed by an experienced doctor to avoid complications. 
Good luck,

Be aware that blindness has occurred when fillers are injected around the eye. This is a very serious risk. You should see an expert eyelid surgeon who is familiar with eyelid anatomy and proper injection techniques. I would only injecvt the tear trough and that only rarely.

Under eye injections

The injections can be done entirely under the eyes BUT it requires a great deal of skill so be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and has a lot of experience

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Tear trough

Your tear trough in my opinion is often best treated with dilute restylane.  While restylane can be used in the cheek I prefer either, Restylanelyft(perlane), juvederm ultra plus, or voluma.

Belotero Balance & Teosyal Redensity II Work Well For Under Eye Tear Troughs, Dark Circles, Hollows & Crinkles

Happily, these days most companies produce a family of injectable products, each with differing physico-chemical properties and each designated for a particular nonsurgical rejuvenation purposes and specific facial locations.

Restylane would not be a particularly good choice for use in the very thin and delicate skin under the eyes, since it must be injected superficially in this location and possesses an uncomfortably high chance of leading to the development of an unwanted, bluish pigmentation known as the Tyndall Effect. Some doctors dilute the Restylane for this reason.

My favorite injectable for the under eye region in my Upper East Side Manhattan office is Belotero Balance, which possesses little to no tendency to give rise to the Tyndall Effect. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available, I typically opt for Teosyal Redensity II, which may be available in Canada, too).  Tear troughs, dark circles, hollows, and crinkles are all routinely treated by experienced injectors these days.

Voluma is not recommended for this region at all and is much too thick a product for use immediately under the eyes and might even give rise to nodules if used there.

That having been said, very often the "scaffolding" area of the cheeks which lies immediately beneath the infraorbital region and serves to support it becomes deflated with age and needs to be reflated before actual treatment directly under the eyes is undertaken . For this area, Voluma (NY) and Stylage XXL (Israel) would be my choices. 

Performed properly, the results of infraorbital treatments often last at least a couple of years. Treating the under eyes is not for novice injectors accustomed to treating simple smile lines with ordinary Restylane. It is a very advanced technique. So, you would do well to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in treating this region and insist upon seeing his/her before and after photos.

Best of luck to you

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Filler injection around eyes, not just tear trough area

Filler injection can be done all around the eyes. See video and link below. Technique is important to get the best results.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon