Ethnic Rhinoplasty specialists? (photos)

I am looking for thinning the cartilage towards the tip of my nose , to get a narrow nose, and smaller alars while still being able to keep my natural shape and look of my nostrils , I don't have thick skin is what it feels like towards the end of my nose so I'm not sure if thinning the cartilage will give provide any changes I am looking for something natural I like my nose shape just want a smaller one and overall and smaller nostrils I like my nostril shape

Rhinoplasty candidate

It is possible to refine the nasal tip cartilages, narrow the bridge line, and narrow wide nostrils with an  Alar-plasty.  Thick skin, especially in the tip of the nose will be a significant impediment to seeing refinement in that area.   Choose your rhinoplasty Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience with the procedure.

Most of us NY surgeons, treat so many different patients or all different ethnicities, I don't even consider it a specialty!  Good luck.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from decreasing the width alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question and photographs.From what I can tell from the photographs you have posted, it appears you have a wide bridge and your tip is enlarged. You would benefit from refining the bridge and a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and smaller in size. Additionally, an alarplasty would be beneficial to reduce the size of your nostrils. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. This can be done in a way to keep the shape but reduce the overall size. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Aesthetic rhinoplasty

There are a number of maneuvers that 1 can take to improve nose in a patient like you.  They include tip work, alar base reduction, and at times, support graft to ensure that the tip of the nose does not we can after rhinoplasty.  With many ethnic patient in my experience, the tip cartilages are in fact weaker than average, even though they were wider than average.  The results of her rhinoplasty operation are always very personalized and individualized in our practice, and a specific consultation is necessary to determine exactly what the patient is looking for, and the steps that would be taken during surgery in our hands to deliver those results.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Projecting the tip of the nose will cause the nostrils to look a bit narrower and less flared without alar base modification.  The challenge with thick skin is that even if definition is created to the nose and cartilage underneath the skin, these changes will not show through the skin.  In these cases additional support and structure is necessary to create definition in the tip of the nose.  Using grafts made from your own cartilage will be the best approach for a natural-appearing, lasting result.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Based on the information you have shared, it appears you have realistic expectations. Your goals are very possible.  Consult with board certified plastic surgeons who have years of experience in ethnic Rhinoplasty.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD