Any doctor's out there who can correct Symmastia?

I had my first breast augmenation a few years ago, when asking dr for natural appearance he ended up giving me symmastia instead. I noticed right away something was wrong, following up he told me he would fix & I was desperate for a fix (if I knew then what I know now I would have never let him touch me a second time) anyhow second attempt failed but now with a lopsided boob. He then sent me to a colleague of his but issue is still there & has ruined my life.. Someone please help.
To find doctors in your local area, please

click here.

Symmastia is a condition which can occur when the implants are too close together. Patients often refer to this as a “uniboob.” This can occur for the same reasons as displacement noted above, but in this case the pocket(s) is/are too far towards the center.
Correction of this problem may involve using different implants such as textured, a smaller size, or a smaller base and placing the implants in a new pocket. On occasion, this may require surgery in more than one stage to allow the tissues to heal and then place the implants. If the implants have been placed above the muscle, converting them under the muscle frequently will help and, again, the use of a dermal substitute may be required for additional support if the tissues are thin. The techniques of capsulorrhaphy and neopectoral pockets may apply here as well

Correction of symmastia

Thank you for your question.   I would recommend you see your original plastic surgeon for an opinion. If they are uncomfortable with this problem, I would recommend a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast surgery, including breast augmentation and breast reconstruction. Best wishes! 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia is a correctable problem that is related to implant size, surgical technique, and anatomical consideration.  They can be a challenge to repair but can be rewarding and life changing for patients.

Find a surgeon you trust.

Best WIshes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Symmastia can be tough to fix.  Ablation of the open space is key with repair of the capsule and sometimes placement of an ADM.  In addition, placing the implants below the muscle will help.  A thong bra post-op is helpful too.

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced.   

In my practice, having used a variety of “techniques” for correction of symmastia, I find that the most reliable technique involves a 2 layer capsulorrhaphy (internal suture repair of the breast implant pockets along the cleavage area). Often, the use of acellular dermal matrix is helpful also. I have also been pleased with the (at least partial) correction of skin tenting that can be achieved with the use of the acellular dermal matrix.

Often, it is necessary to “open” (reverse capsulotomy) the breast implant pocket laterally (outer breast fold) to allow for positioning of the implant centrally behind the breast mound. This maneuver may also decrease the amount of implant pressure against the medial suture line. 

I also find that careful attention to postoperative activity restrictions is key to success with this type of surgery and other types of implant malposition revisionary breast surgery.

You may find attached link and video helpful to you when it comes to more symmastia corrective surgery concerns. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.