Are drains recommended after BBL?

I have been researching the BBL procedure and have heard very different opinions regarding whether drain tubes should be used after the BBL procedure. Some of the patient reviews say they were used while others say they had no drains. It it necessary? The thought of draining fat out of my body for days after the procedure makes me cringe a little (a lot) -but- if it's going to help with the healing process and/or results it is something I will deal with....

Drains or no drains

I don't believe there is a right answer however most surgeons develop a protocol based on their personal experiences. I used to use drains and now leave my incision open to naturally drain. I feel this provides the best way to eliminate the fluid especially when combined with massages. It is not the cleanest method but in my opinion the most efficient. Speak to your surgeon and ask the reason he decides to use or not use.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Drains and BBL

I do not routinely use drains after a BBL. Some surgeons do because they use lipo machines that generate a lot of heat.

Drains after BBL

I don't use drains after fat transfer. Some surgeons will place a drain in the liposuctioned  areas to expedite drainage of fluid. Best, Dr. Yegiyants 

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Drains after BBL can be used in some situtations

I typically do not use drains after a BBL but have used them in some occasions when I felt the risk of seroma formation was significant.  Drains allow for the serous (body) fluid to be drained out while you are healing.  Once  healed you no longer need these drains as your body rebuilds the ability to recirculate this fluid.

These drains, while annoying, are sometimes necessary.  Leave it up to your surgeon to decide whether or not they are used.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

No need for drains with BBL

Thanks for your question. 

A Plastic Surgeon may use differing techniques for any procedure, and this may have to be further modified for any particular patient. 

I have never had to use a drain with liposuction or fat transferring to any area in the body in over twenty five years of practice. A drain is needed if there is a "space" in which fluid can collect, and it needs to be removed. No such space is created with liposuction or fat transfer so drains should not be necessary. 

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC