Dorsal hump correction - have I made it worse? (photos)

My nose has a dorsal hump. How do i know if it is not broken? Its been like this for several years .. I used to press down on the bridge growing up which ended up making it look worse.. IS IT POSSIBLE I MADE IT WORSE BY PRESSING ON BUMP? I cant afford the surgery on my own, would insurance in canada cover this or are there financing options available in TORONTO? 1. Would fillers help correct this? 2. If the bump is shaved down, will my nose flatten / nostrils appear wider?

Dorsal hump correction

Thank you for your question. As a rhinoplasty surgeon in the Toronto area I think I can give you some specific guidance. First off, pressing on your nose is not likely to have caused this, it is more likely just the way your nose grew. I perform many rhinoplasty surgeries covered by OHIP. There needs to be a discussion between you and your surgeon to determine whether or not you would qualify for OHIP coverage. There is a chance that a portion would be covered by OHIP but that you would be responsible for a 'cosmetic' portion of the operation.  Fillers can only camouflage a bump, and this is not a permanent solution. I recommend seeking out a consult with a local facial plastic surgeon for a full exam, set of photos, and history to determine what coverage you would qualify for.

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump

Without examining you in person, it is impossible to say what caused your hump. The only solution is a surgical rhinoplasty. Fillers don't really help with your issue. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Large nose bump: can fillers, the so-called "non-surgical rhinoplasty" help?

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to say if your dorsal hump is developmental or from a trauma such as a fracture.  It is a significant hump from the pictures you gave us.  I love doing the non-surgical rhinoplasty with Juvederm Volbella or restylane but fillers have limited ability to camouflage a large hump.  I could soften it up sllightly.  Best would be a dorsal hump reduction with surgery.  OHIP in Ontario does not cover this as this is not a functional problem but an aesthetic one.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Dr, Marc DuPere, Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Marc DuPere, MD