What's the difference between 465cc implant overfilled to 485cc opposed to just a 485cc implant?

I am scheduled for my BA in December and I feel confident about the Dr I have decided to go with, and I trust what advice I've been given on the type of implant etc. However I don't thoroughly understand the overfill part of it. Any insight would be great, thank you in advance!

Thank you for your question.  Saline implants have a recommended fill volume.  Some surgeons overfill above the recommended saline volume under the mistaken belief that this will prevent rippling.  In fact underfilling or overfilling can result in rippling saline implants.

A 465 cc implant will be narrower at the base of 485 cc implant.  The 4 85 cc implant may refer to a silicon gel implant rather than a saline implant.

Overfill

Saline implants have minimal fill implant volume and maximal fill volume.  It is not recommended to go over the maximal fill volume.

Overfilling

Overfilling is a technique used to reduce the incidence of rippling in saline filled implants (which is higher relative to silicone gels). By exceeding the recommended fill volume slightly, the device will be less prone to folds and ripples which are can compromise both the aesthetic outcome and the integrity of the implant.

A tablespoon is about 15cc, a teaspoon is about 5cc. Thus a fill differential of 20cc is slightly more than 1 tablespoon or 4 teaspoons. Ultimately, this will be negligible in terms of final size.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

The difference in volume between a 465cc and 485cc implant is 20cc which is only 4 teaspoons, and will not make any significant apparent difference in size. 

Saline and gel implants all come in different dimensions. It is the width of the implant that has to fit your body type and the projection (how far it sticks out) that will affect the final shape. 

Your surgeon will help you pick the right implant for you. Slightly overfilling a saline implant may reduce rippling in a saline implant,   but too much filling may cause dents in the shell and make it feel less natural. 

Good luck. 

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

There are various implant types and different techniques to place the implant. The proper implant size and shape will be chosen by your surgeon according to your desires. In suitable patients placing the implant from axillary area can be done however in some cases it is better to place the implant via T cut.

Implant

Hello and thank you for your question. Overfilling a saline implant can help reduce rippling.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  It sounds like you are in a good position for your upcoming surgery.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Saline breast implant fill volume?

Saline breast implants have a fill volume range associated with them. In other words, the breast implant manufacturer has a range of volume that they recommend surgeons fill the implants to. Often, surgeons will fill a breast implant to a certain volume (upper range of manufacturer recommendations) to achieve the patient's size goals as well as to help minimize the potential for breast implant rippling (which may be more obvious if a breast implant is not filled to its "max fill" volume". 

If still in doubt, communicate your questions/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon; make sure that you are both on the same page when it comes to achieving an outcome that you will be pleased with. I hope this helps.