Crooked nose bridge. Can it be shaved rather than broken?

Hi! My nose is very crooked at the top of my bridge, where it is much closer to one eye than the other. Instead of breaking the nose and straightening the whole thing, would it be possible to just shave the one side down that is out more? The other side of my face looks great. Instead of crooked, it rather looks like I have a hump on one side. My nose bridge is quite wide so I'm thinking it might be possible, since I'd want a thin bridge anyways. Thanks!

Correction of Crooked Nose Bridge by Shaving Rather than Breaking Bones

Perhaps, but it is necessary to see pictures for us to comment. You can also consult with a rhinoplasty specialist who can evaluate the severity of your asymmetry and discuss alternative treatments.

CROOKED NASAL BRIDGE

Dear skysurfer777, It sounds like you are in need of having osteotomies performed which is fracturing the nasal bones and bringing them back together to straighten the nose. This would be determined with an in office examination or further expert opinion can be given with photographs. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty

You would have to be seen in person to determine what your issues are. In general,. shaving one side, may not do much to improve the asymmetry.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. This could be most accurately addressed with an in-person consultation. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Crooked nose bridge

Thank you for your question. Based on your description, you will require the nasal bones to be broken.  We call this a nasal osteotomy surgery.  Additionally, you will need a procedure called nasal spreader graft to keep the entire nose straight and perfect. Best wishes in your endeavors!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMSg breast

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. A rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that will be able to address the crooked nose by shaving one side, however, a detailed diagnosis is only possible through an in-person examination. Through small incisions made inside the nose, the external abnormalities can be contoured. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon