How many cosmetic procedures can I have done at once? (photo)

I'm a 19 year old female, 190lbs and 5'6. I have lost over 100 pounds and have a lot of excess skin, especially in my lower abdomen, under arms, and my breasts. My breasts and stomach are most troublesome, and I would like if I could get them done at the same time. And also how soon after that procedure could I get a brachioplasty? Also, am I a good candidate for surgery? *the arm photo is upside down for some reason*

How many procedures at one time??

This is a good question but really impossible to tell you without a thorough exam and discussion about your goals and expectations. You appear to be a good candidate from the few pictures you sent. Congrats on your weight loss!!

How many cosmetic procedures can I have done at once?

For safety you want to reduce the hours to about 4. Also most surgeons start getting a little tired after fours hours when they are concentrating on a complex procedure. Therefore it is best to separate your major procedures, i.e. Breasts and Stomach should be done separately, however you may be a candidate based on the surgery you need.

Mahmood Kara, MD

Multiple procedures

Hi, you can have more than one procedure done at once, it will depend on your health and how much needs to be done and the anaesthetic time. We would usually recommend the lower body in one procedure and the upper body done in a second procedure.

Thank you for your question.  Multiple procedures often can be performed at the same time provided that the patient is in good health and operative time is less than 6 hours.  I think it's reasonable to address your abdomen and breasts first followed by a procedure for the arms later on.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Surgery on her breasts and abdomen after 100 pound weight loss

Patients who are massive weight loss patients often have multiple issues to contend with. Frequently the skin is redundant and will not spring back after the weight loss. This is very frustrating after having accomplished such a heroic challenge. In addition, the skin may chafe and you may have areas of irritation or even ulceration. Unfortunately except for the area around your pannus we have not found that insurance companies do not see this as part of covered procedures. In terms of performing multiple procedures at one time, every patient is different. Not infrequently, I will have discussions with the patient that involves the staging surgeries so that the time under anesthesia is optimized and not excessive. These are important discussions to have with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment! Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely. However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery…
It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations.
You will find that there are no "absolute rules" when it comes to your question. Based on the principle of safety and avoidance of complications first, in my practice, I generally avoid combination surgical procedures that will take longer than six hours in our hands.
Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow. Best wishes.

Number of procedures?

Congratulations on your weight loss. The number of procedures that can be performed should be dictated by your general health and hence your ability to undergo your procedures, as well as the location for the procedures to be performed and the qualifications of your surgeon. Increasing time in the operating room brings with it increasing risk and these will be carefully weighed by your surgeon. For the right candidate multiple procedures are very common. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Congratulations on your weight loss! Having the three of those procedures performed at once would not be unreasonable and in fact it is a common suite of post-massive weight loss surgeries that are performed together. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

How many procedures can be done at one surgical setting

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. In your case all 3 can be done together.  You will need a lower body lift, arm lift and breast lift. 
Recovery is 4 to 6 weeks.  Complication rate slightly higher but fewer general anesthetics and less time off work. See a ps who specializes in post massive weight loss body contouring. 
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon