Coolsculpting post bladder cancer, is it safe, will dead cells affect cytology report?

I had bladder cancer 2 years ago. The tumour was removed successfully, 1 round of BCG & no other treatment required. Monitoring yearly. Everything fine! Is there any reason I should not have cool sculpting?

Is CoolSculpting safe after cancer treatment?

CoolSculpting should be just as safe for you as someone who has not had bladder cancer.  No cells would be expected to appear within the urine as none should make it out of the treated area into the bloodstream to be filtered by the kidneys.  The damaged cells are cleaned up by macrophage cells in the fat area itself that are purpose made for the job of removing foreign or damaged cells wherever they may be.  Congratulations on your successful treatment!

Charlotte Dermatologist

Coolsculpting after cancer

As long as you do not have a hernia from a bladder surgery, 2 years is plenty of time to allow for healing.  The fat cells are not free-floating but rather contained in janitor cells called macrophages.  It will not affect your cytology reports.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting and Cancer

I am sorry for your cancer but I don't see any reason why you could not have Coolsculpting.  I would confirm this with your treating physician.  Best, Dr. Green

Is CoolSculpting after bladder cancer safe?

I cannot think of any reason why you could not have a CoolSculpting procedure after successful treatment of your bladder cancer.  The destroyed fat cells are eliminated by the body's lymphatic system and would not show up on a cytology report.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting after Bladder Cancer

Thank you for your question.  Glad to hear the tumor resection went well.  As you are two years out, the soft tissue and scar should be stable enough for CoolSculpting.  The process makes the fat cell turn on their self destruction mechanism, (apoptosis).  The immune system will send a cell to package up the dead fat cell, and then the contents will be removed in the usual fashion.  It should not effect any of your cancer surveillance labs.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. As long as you are completely healed and do not have a hernia, there should be no reason why you should not have CoolSculpting done. Ensure that you consult with a physician with experience in CoolSculpting. All the best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculping is a non invasive non surgical fat reduction technology that uses cold therapy to reduce fat. The depth of treatment for CoolSculpting is limited and will not effect the deep tissue beneath the subcutaneous fat.  The fat that is treated that undergoes a natural cell death will then be eliminated by the body naturally via the lymphatics. This would would not effect a biopsy or cytology report.  I would however recommend you check with your oncologist prior to CoolSculpting treatment to ensure there is no current concern for recurrent or residual cancer, as this treatment would certainly take priority over CoolSculpting.

CoolSculpting after bladder cancer - probably safe

CoolSculpting has not been studied specifically in patients who have history of bladder cancer.  That being said, it should be safe as long as your abdominal wall is healthy (no skin infection, no hernia, etc).  Because CoolSculpting targets fat cells that are just beneath the skin, the treatment doesn't go "deep" enough to have an effect on your bladder or surrounding organs.  Nevertheless, I would ask your Dermatologist to communicate with your cancer doctors prior to treatment.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after cancer

Coolsculpting won't have any effect on your blood work or cytology.  If you have an umbilical hernia or a hernia at any incision sites, you should not treat over those areas.  Wishing you continued success!

Grant Stevens, MD

Coolsculpting after Bladder Cancer

Bladder cancer and surgery are not a contraindication as long as there is no hernia at the site of the surgery.  It is best to see a experienced provider to properly evaluate you

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician