Should I be concerned with the way my labia looks 1 week post op? (photos)

I had laser labiaplasty a week ago and have been doing the sitz baths few times a day and applying fucidin cream religiously. I am concerned with way I am healing, and itching and pain still persists. Could someone please have a look and advise me what to do as this is day 8 post op.

Post op swelling

Thank you for sharing.  Post operative labiaplasty at this stage are notorious for swelling and itching.  Continue following all post op instructions and the swelling should go down nicely.

Keep us posted.

Labiaplasty

Swelling one week after surgery is normal and expected. However I do feel that the laser incision causes much more post operative swelling than traditional scalpel techniques.  I have been in this business for a long time, I have found that the laser labiaplasty is more expensive with the same results. The result isn't any better with the use of the laser.  As long as you  choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty procedure you shouldn't have much visible scarring. 

Laser labiaplasty

Postop labiaplasty photos can be scary especially 1 week postop.  They always look swollen. I tell my patients not to even look at the area for the first couple of weeks or warn them it will look "really bad". Having said that, be patient and trust that it will continue to improve and look better in a few weeks. 

Followup with your surgeon and ask questions. Follow and trust their instructions. Swelling, itching and pain are all normal after a labiaplasty. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS

Should I be concerned with the way my labia looks 1 week postop?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your itching and pain.  It does appear that your body is starting to heal from the labiaplasty as your swelling is diminished and the tissues are regaining the appearance of suppleness.  That said it looks as if you have some subtle incision separations but which should heal on their own without significant effect to your long-term results. I would apply ointment to your incisions and avoid submerging them in sitz baths to help speed your healing.  Best wishes.

Healing OK after Laser labiaplasty one week ago?

It is normal to experience swelling, pain, and itchiness after a laser labiaplasty. However, it's best to discuss your symptoms with your surgeon to find out if the amount of pain you're experiencing is expected and if your caring for your wounds with sufficient ointment, if indicated. 

For more information, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty at 1 week post-op...

...Healing looks OK at this point. There are a few superficial separations perhaps caused by the injudicious use of sitz baths (I advise my patients not to immerse in water for 10 days, as it can cause superficial sutures to split early) and also there is no need to apply antibiotic ointment. LP incisions heal best if you don't mess with them applying antibiotic cream here 'n there... Overall though, it looks OK. Send us more pics at 5-6 weeks if it doesnt look right. For now, don't mess with it! let it heal. Look at the weblink for more info...

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Should I be concerned with the way my labia looks 1 week post op?

Thank you for your question.  At this point it looks like you are healing fine.  The swelling is down at lot from that first photo, right after surgery.  It will only continue to improve as the swelling goes downs.  Sometimes it looks uneven at the beginning because one side may be more swollen that the other.

Just make sure you follow your surgeons post op instructions.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

1 week after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. It is expected to have swelling at this stage and it will continue to get better. I recommend no sits baths to my patients. Please talk to your surgeon and follow local wound care instructions.

Swelling and healing incision lines at 1 week

I can reassure you that with time things will continue to heal and as they do the subtle asymmetries will be less noticeable. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon who'll make sure there isn't an infection and that you are progressing properly.  You had a complex labia and hood preop so naturally your recovery will be more involved.

You should stop doing sitz baths and applying any creams/ointments to the area. These practices will not help with your recovery and in fact may negatively impact your healing.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD

Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

The Center for Female Pelvic Medicine and Cosmetic Surgery®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Stop soaking your labiaplasty scars in the tub and rubbing antibiotic ointment on the area

You appear to be the biggest danger to your labiaplasty result. By soaking your scars in the tub you're increasing blood flow to the area which makes it swell more. Also, water-soaked skin gets softer which makes the scars more likely to separate and weaken when combined with the increased swelling. It's no wonder you're in pain. To make it worse, the antibiotic ointment is irritating your skin which is probably aggravating the itching. Stay out of the tub and ditch the antibiotic ointment. This isn't an open skin wound and shouldn't be treated as such.