Clitoras concerns. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had laser labiaplasty. Day 4 and the swelling and pain still persists. Noticed my clitoras is divided in 2 parts. Is this due to swelling? Will this close once the area is healed? And has it looked like the area has improved since day 2?

Post operative recovery

Pain and swelling at this very early stage of your recovery is normal.  Swelling distorts the appearance so its difficult to assess your final result at this stage.  Be patient and reassess again after a few months.  

This seems like normal post operative swelling.  After a few weeks the swelling should go down and your clitoral hood will return to normal size.

John G. Hunter, MD

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question and photos.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Swelling is very common after labiaplasty. This swelling can distort the tissue quite extensively. You should never make a judgement about the final appearance of the labia within the first few weeks after a labiaplasty had been performed. Best to wait. After 6 weeks, it will look close to what you're going to end up with, but the best recommendation is to wait 3-6 months before you make a final assessment. At that time, if you are unhappy with the appearance or there is some asymmetry, you should then discuss this with your surgeon to see if further adjustments need to be made.  I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively they experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below. Good luck. 

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Looks like my clitoris is split in half after labiaplasty. What's going on?!

Hello!  I can see why you'd freak over the appearance, but - trust me - YOUR CLITORIS IS NOT SPLIT. What you see under the central clitoral hood which looks like a camel toe is called the "frenulum" or "frenular fold." The frenula are each attached to the clitoral hood & serve as the beginning of your labia, "flowing down: from the glans. When you have surgery near your clitoris, the hood and frenula SWELL the most, and stay swollen the longest. The swelling will mostly dissipate by 3 weeks post-op, although it will take 6-8 weeks u ntil the sewlling has disappeared. By the way, a laser is only a cutting tool, same as a radiofrequency needle, scalpel, electrosurgery needle, scissors, etc. Of all the tools, scalpel & scissors are the "coolest," and produce the least swelling. Electrosurgery needle is the "hottest," followed by laser, but both ate decent, acceptable, excellent cutting tools.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Clitoral Concerns After LASER Labiplasty

Thank you for posting your early post operative LASER Labiaplasty photos with your interesting question. It appears that your swelling has decreased over the last 2 days. Lasers work by using light to deliver heat energy to the tissues which burns and produces more  swelling than traditional plastic surgical instruments. I do not use a LASER on this delicate tissue, for this reason, and almost never see this degree of postoperative swelling. As the swelling decreases, over time, the appearance will improve. Fortunately, this tissue heals well. You can soak in a bathtub with tepid water for 15 minutes a day and apply Aquaphor ointment along the incisions too. I recommed that you follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performed your Labiaplasty for continued post operative care and reassurance. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Your clitoris is not split after your labiaplasty

The clitoral head is not visible. It is obscured by swelling of the left and right branches of the clitoral frenulum which normally form an inverted V under the clitoral head, but presently look like two halves of large dome with a split down the center. This swelling will resolve and the appearance will normalize in a few weeks.

Clitoras concerns. Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  So far your results are still appropriate for being 4 days out from surgery and the thin tissues of your labia and clitoris remain swollen, obscuring your long term results.  Most of the swelling will dissipate by 6-8 weeks after surgery so hang in there and allow your surgery more time to mature