Would I need a chin implant along with rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I want to balance my profile

Chin Implant in addition to Rhinoplasty?

In my opinion, the rhinoplasty will enhance your profile substantially. You have an attractive jawline and I would not do a chin implant at this time. 

*Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam which is recommended. 

Chin Augmentation Necessary?

I do not feel a chin implant is in your best interest. This are many methods to assess if you need an implant. One way would be to view the profile and draw a line connecting the most prominent portions of the upper and lower lip. The chin should be at this line. From your pictures, your chin is proportionate. Another way to assess your chin, is to drop a line from the lower lip vertically downwards from the profile view. For a woman, the chin should be a few millimeters behind this line. 

Hope this helps!

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Chin implant with my rhinoplasty?

Thank you for asking about your rhinoplasty and chin implant.

• You are lovely to begin with - a great place to start!
  • Please have your rhinoplasty, then decide if more should be done.
  • Your chin projection is fine -
  • Your lower lip however is smaller than your upper lip - 
  • If you feel your chin doesn't look right after your rhinoplasty, try filler in the lower lip and chin crease.
  • Fillers are temporary but if you need anything, this minor adjustment is likely to be all that is needed.. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Would I need a chin implant along with rhinoplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries and Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is "not" weak.  When the chin is weak, this an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are "not" a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Rhinoplasty can thin and refine the nasal tip and nose while lifting the "droopy" nasal tip. From the photos, your cheeks are a bit flat in the front.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Hope this helps. 

Chin Implant?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based off of your photos it does not appear that you need a chin implant to improve balance to your face. A rhinoplasty if done correctly should help balance out your face. Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed over 100 rhinoplasty procedures per year. Computer imaging will be helpful to determine what a rhinoplasty could do to balance your face. 

Wish you all the best,

Dr. Henry Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

A chin implant??? No! But you have to be super careful about your nose.

Don't do anything with your chin. It's gorgeous. Not bigger, smaller, taller. Don't let anyone talk you into anything.

Concerning your nose, see the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a couple of computer morphs of your nose, and animations of the morphs, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I lowered the bump on the bridge, elevated the tip upwards, narrowed the tip, and then brought the entire nose back closer to your face.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Narrowing and elevating the tip, keeping a nice shape, and then bringing the tip back closer to the face involve complex changes to those tip cartilages. Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a great example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is chin implant needed with rhinoplasty?

Based on your photos, I would say that you are not a good candidate for a chin implant, as your chin projection is good where it is.  A rhinoplasty, by itself, could help to balance your profile.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation

You do not appear to lack horizontal projection of the chin. If anything you have a vertically short chin that many benefit being lengthened a bit. But computer imaging can answer the question of whether any form of china change would add to the overall facial result with your rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty and Facial Harmony

Thanks for your post. In my view, a well performed natural appearing rhinoplasty would be the cornerstone to enhanced aesthetics and facial harmony based on these few photos. I would not suggest a chin implant for you. Focus on finding an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who regularly performs rhinoplasty, and have a consultation for recommendations as you are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking at your photos you have a lovely medium strong chin profile; not  too recessive and not overly strong.

Everything changes once the nose surgery has happened but undertaking augmentation of the chin I think would make the profile less classically aesthetic; I would not encourage it but if you were to think about any surgery to the chin after nose surgery I would advise a slight chamfering  or reduction  but not augmentation.

I hope that helps.

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon