Chin implant or jaw realignment surgery?

I recently went to the dentist regarding my overbite and weak chin side profile and was told that the braces would help with the alignment of my teeth but would not change my outside profile. I was also told to consider jaw realignment surgery in conjunction with the braces. I am wondering if chin implant would be an option, as it seems to be an easier procedure. If so, would you recommend I do the implant before or after braces or can it be done at any time?

Small jaw

If You have an overbite, that means that you have skeletal issues. I would not get a chin surgery alone. Orthodontics and jaw surgery is the answer.

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implants are placed for patients desire cosmetic augmentation to the chin when there's a weak and recessive chin profile present. A chin implant will not help with the way the teeth come together. Jaw realignment surgery involves surgery performed by a oral surgeon in a hospital setting under general anesthesia with at least a night or two in the hospital after the surgery. Chin implants are performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. In our practice, we have used implantech  Silastic chin implants for over 25 years. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are placed through a small incision underneath the chin. For more information and many examples, please see link and the video below

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty or jaw surgery.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant or jaw realignment surgery?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation