Cheek implants and chin augmentation. Is my chin too long for the implant? (Photo)

Hello, I am 100% certain that I want cheek implants and chin implant. I've had experience with Juvederm in my cheeks, but I'm looking for permanent results. As for my chin, is it too long for the implant? Should I get my chin shaved? I had upper jaw surgery to correct an underbite over a year ago, will this interfere with my surgery? I apologize my questions are everywhere. I've been wanting this for over a year now, I just want some more advice :)

Is your chin too long?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Cheek and Chin Augmentation

I think you are very insightful to know that your chin is just a it long and a chin implant may make it look longer. It appears that it may be aesthetically beneficial that your chin is vertically shortened as it comes forward. This needs to be determined by computer imaging. If so then a sliding genioplasty may be aesthetically preferred. At the least you need to see how your chin looks as it comes forward even if its vertical length remains the same. 

Cheek implants and chin augmentation. Is my chin too long for the implant?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are very flat in the front, there is a slight excess of fat below the cheeks in the lower face, the chin is weak as is the posterior (back) portion of the jaw line.   These combine to create an elongated, oval shaped face.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using the proper sized and shaped cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Your chin is the appropriate vertical length, it lacks the forward projection which the proper chin implant will provide.  I often combine cheek and chin implant surgery which takes approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours to perform.  Patients fly back home to all over the world in 5 to 7 days after the surgery.  With chin implant surgery alone, most patients fly home in a few days.

The back portion of your jaw line is a bit weak and can be augmented, without making your face appear masculine, using precise placement of a dermal filler (I prefer using Restylane Lyft).  

Hope this helps.

Chin/cheek

daws0nl0ver, your photos show a pretty young lady that is not in dire straights. Should you get anything done it should be subtle. It is quite difficult to give you direct advice without a hands on exam. Please make sure you see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces". I turn down surgery or at least talk patients into a more conservative approach all the time and again that is based on my experience and specialization. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants and chin augmentation

To make a fair assessment of the placement of cheek and chin implants requires a thorough examination of the facial features, because the cheeks and the chin are both three-dimensional structures. It's also advisable to have no filler placement in the cheeks which has artificially enlarged them, which is especially important when picking the size and the shape of the cheek implants to be placed surgically.  The Photographs also demonstrates a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are also produced  in a large array of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin. In our practice, we use Implantech Silastic cheek and chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, diagrams of the implants themselves, and many before-and-after results of both chin and cheek implants, please see the link and the video below

Cheek implants

Your growth pattern is such that a sliding genioplasty would be best to manage the 3D appearance of the chin so the vertical height is proper. The cheek implants would need to be placed in the proper location in order to achieve the 'definition' one usually wants given the midface appearance. But both can easily be accomplished at one setting.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Cheek and chin

for the cheeks you could have malar implants(even after your upper jaw surgery, too bad you didn't decide that before surgery as they are easy to put in at that time). For your chin, either a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant, dealers choice, there are pros and cons to both. 

Cheek and Chin implants

In a properly selected case chin and cheek implants can be enormously beneficial to the face. However, sliding osteotomy of the chin and fat injection to both in the cheek and chin area could a viable option for most patients as well. Since you have minimal chin deficiency you would be a great candidate for fat injection in both sites with minimal recovery. You may want to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has craniofacial training and is focused on the aesthetic of the face to serve you the best way possible.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Cheek and chin implants

Thank you for your pictures.  From what I can see on profile, you still have room for projection along your chin.  It would be minimal, however, it would make a nice improvement along your jawline.  You only need a few millimeters of projection, and that is easily attainable.  As far as the cheek implants are concerned, after upper jaw surgery the malar eminence (the highlight of our cheek bones) does change in relative position.  You'd have to be examined to determine which type of implant would be best.  That being said, knowing what was done during your orthognathic surgery would be key as this would be important during the placement of the implant.  I hope some of this helps! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon