Is Cellfina technique sensitive for experienced surgeons to get good results?

I'm considering travelling to get the Cellfina procedure done since I live in Canada and its not offered here. Should I be looking for a surgeon with the most experience with the device? Or is the Cellfina procedure pretty foolproof in the hands of any certified doctor who has the device? Is an in-office consultation important to determine if it can be done or are pictures good enough?

Cellfina improvement: choosing your doctor

Cellfina improvement: choosing your doctorAlways pick a Board Certified plastic surgeon  who has experience.  The method itself is fairly simple but experience in surgical and non surgical treatments is helpful.. We prefer Cellfina Platinum that combines other non surgical treatments to get the best result

Cellulite treatment

Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive

Cellfina certification

Having done 8 years of actual surgical training, and having learned to do Cellulite from my senior partner, I can tell you that there is a steep learning curve and many subtle nuances that I learned in my fellowship that come into play while doing Cellfina - things that other people who are not surgeons don't learn (such as discontinuous undermining, zones of adherence), and the various ways to cut each fibrous band to get the best result, decrease the chances for seroma, and not cause the thigh to droop or sag...  so yes, I adamantly believe experience makes a difference.  I'm sure in the future they will let anyone with minimal experience or who has taken a weekend course and obtained a certificate do it - but, I hope that my experience and attention to detail will provide superior results and few complications.

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

The Cellfina procedure has a very steep learning curve. Cellfina is best done by surgeons who have considerable experience and comfort with the technique. We have done over 100 of these procedures and the results have been excellent. Cellfina is the ONLY Effective Cellulite Treatment That Works!
There is only one truly effective and proven lasting cellulite treatment out there, and that is CELLFINA. All of the other lotions, potions, creams, treatments, radio frequency devices, including Cellulaze, are at best, mediocre, and, in many cases, completely worthless. Cellulaze is a laser-based procedure that has a much higher complication rate, as well as a much lower patient satisfaction rate, so that answer is pretty clear. CELLFINA is the only cellulite treatment that has a proven track record of 96% patient satisfaction at 2 years post treatment. Nothing else is even remotely as effective as Cellfina. I have attached a link to my website, explaining how this remarkable system works. There are patient testimonials and schematics reviewing the details of this remarkable breakthrough treatment. Also, Cellfina is a single session procedure that is done under local anesthesia with little to no pain! Thank you for your excellent question.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cellulite, Vaser Smooth, Thermi RF, Cellfina, Fat Transfer, Cellulaze, Subcision, Dimpling

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.
It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.
Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.
It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser.
If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.
Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years.
Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure.
It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or
Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Your questions are very good. With newer technology the learning curve is based on the experience of the surgeon with similar surgeries and technologies. Cellfina is relatively straight forward procedure for a surgeon who already does liposuction and similar procedures. Therefore there are many surgeons who are quite capable of doing Cellfina. I have been doing liposuction for many years and Cellfina was straightforward to learn. I have done multiple case now and the results have exceeded the patients and my expectations. It is a very good system to smooth areas of cellulite. I would advise you to find an experienced surgeon who has adopted the Cellfina system.

Ben J. Tittle, MD

Cellulite -- Vaser Smooth, ThermiRF, Cellfina, Fat Transfer, Subcision

you have to be highly trained in using cellfina to ensure the best results. although it seems like its quite an easy procedure there is a lot of detail that goes into the markings, the protocols, and the followup care. I suggest you see an expert. I am one of the national trainers and I suggest you see someone similar, especially since this is a newer procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cellfina technique

While the procedure is not foolproof, good results in treating cellulite with Cellfina have been reported in over 90% of the patients treated nationwide over the past 3 years. Pictures should be adequate to allow the surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for Cellfina.

Cellfina foolproof with the right doctor, not just any doctor

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are an educated consumer and you are asking the proper questions. As you likely are aware, these days cosmetic procedures are being performed by all sorts of practitioners; specialists and non-specialists, certified and non-certified, licensed and unlicensed. You must do your due diligence to ensure your safety and the best possible results. Cellfina is a minimally invasive procedure with low risk and a high upside, however your outcome with the procedure may not necessarily be the same with just any doctor who has the device.
The doctor with the ideal skills, training and experience required to deliver optimal results with the Cellfina system would be a board certified plastic surgeon; one who has experience with cosmetic surgery in this region of the body, including liposuction, body lifts, thigh lifts and buttock augmentation with implants and autologous fat. That being said, Cellfina is a straightforward enough procedure that any board certified plastic surgeon who owns the system would easily be qualified to deliver an excellent result. In addition, because Cellfina is a new device, there may not be great variation in level of experience with the procedure between different plastic surgeons.
In most cases, I do not believe that an in office consultation would be necessary to determine whether you are an appropriate candidate for Cellfina treatment. Photographs and a history would usually suffice.
Best of luck to you.
Dr. Polo  

Max Polo, MD

Choose an experienced Plastic Surgeon for treatment of cellulite with Cellfina

Hello and thank-you for your question.

Cellfina is the latest break though for the treatment of cellulite. The treatment targets the fibrous bands which are the source of the dimpling in cellulite. It is most effective for the treatment of deep dimples and depressions of the buttocks and back of the thighs. It is less effective in the treatment of generalized waviness. Cellfina is a minimally invasive treatment performed in the office. We are seeing an extremely high level of satisfaction for our patients treated with Cellfina. I personally perform the procedure. This is not a procedure which I feel comfortable in delegating. A thorough knowledge of body contouring is essential for consistently good results. Cellfina is operator dependent with results varying depending on the number and size of the releases. I would recommend choosing a Plastic Surgeon experienced in treating cellulite with Cellfina. For out of town patients, I recommend sending photos with over head lighting to show the cellulite and a virtual consultation over the phone or Skype.

Best regards,

Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS