Is it possible to have a bulbous nose with thin skin? (photos)

I have a slightly bulbous tip. Not too big, but there's a spherical shape at the end of my nose that reaches almost mid-nose. However, (although I understand I would need professional evaluation to be certain), I feel that my skin is most likely thin. I can easily feel the two separated lumps of cartilage at the very tip of my nose, and the skin of my nostrils seem relatively thin. I'm only wondering if it's possible to have thin skin & bulbous tip. I'd like significant refining. Thanks!:-)

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Thin nose and bulbous tip

Yes, you can have a bulbous or wide nasal tip and still have thin tissues. It is often this type of patient that will be most satisfied with the results of a tip rhinoplasty.

Is it possible to have a bulbous nose with thin skin?

Hello skysurger777,
Thanks for your question.
Yes, you can have thin skin with a large tip.
An evaluation by a rhinoplasty expert in your area can help you decide on what procedure would work best for you.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Nose

Yes of course it is .  Thick skin is just one cause of a wide tip.  The more common cause is shape of the lower lateral cartilage or the cartilage of the nasal tip.  

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Bulbous nose and thin skin

It is possible to have thing skin and have a bulbous nose. It is easier to see the cartilages under the thin skin and you might be felling the two lower lateral cartilages when you feel the separate lumps of cartilages in the nasal tip.

As you mention, an evaluation with a rhinoplasty surgeon would help you understand what results you could get to refine the nasal tip.

Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thin skin rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it certainly possible to have thin skin of the nose, along with a bulbous and/or wide nasal tip.  Most often, the width and irregularity of the tip can be accentuated because of the lack of camouflage of the overlying skin.  I would suggest consulting with a board certified, fellowship trained facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  This procedure reshapes the underlying cartilages to help refine the appearance of the nose.  At your consultation, your surgeon will be able to explain what would need to be done to help achieve your goals for your nose.   

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon