Bruising still present at 14 days post op. Is it normal? (photos)

The bruising showed up three days post-op and has been there ever since. I do not have any pain, fever, and the bruising does not feel hard. I do not have a fever and the breast does not feel warm. I am concerned that the bruising has been there for so long. Is it normal?

Bruising Post Op

Bruising will typically take 2-3 weeks to fully resolve. The colour changes to purple/yellow tones as it is dissipating. Arnica gel and pellets can help reduce bruising more quickly but at this point you should be able to see it resolve on its own soon. If you note new bruising or swelling tell your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best 

Bruising seems normal

Bruising can often take weeks to dissipate and resolve. Arnica Montana sublingual tablets as well as the topical gel can help speed up the process, but ultimately it will just take time. If you are still concerned, I would recommend speaking with your PS. Take care!

John S. Lee, MD

Persistent bruising

Late bruising can occur and then the blood and breakdown products of the blood can sometimes deposit in the superficial tissues creating a visible color change.  These deposits can sometimes be very slow to totally disappear.  But be reassured that eventually it should completely resolve.  You might consider warm compresses to increase local blood flow which may help the body naturally clear out the deposited blood.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Bruising still present at 14 days post op. Is it normal

would not be worried at this point. I think taking some arnica montana gel as well as pills combined with a heating pad or warm moist towels will help it resolve. Also avoid any sun to that area until the bruising is gone as it can stain the skin brown.

Julio Garcia, MD

Bruising

Bruising can hang around a bit longer in some people  more than others. This can be very normal. If at all concerned speak with your surgeon.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions, concerns or changes in your post operative recovery. You are still quite early in your recovery period and bruising is quite common after a breast augmentation. As long as the bruising is getting better and not worse, then you shouldn’t have to worry about it being a hematoma or any other type of complication. Best to be check out by your plastic surgeon though to rule any potential complications out. Best of luck in your recovery.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Bruising at 2 weeks

This is older bruising which will continue evolving and fading in the next weeks weeks - some arnica cream on it will help it clear more quickly

Post-Op Bruising after Augmentation

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal