Breathing and bleeding after septoplasty and rhinoplasty with tip revision?

Hello, I had my nose done today this morning and it 8pm now. I absolutely cannot breath what so ever and the packing was taken out already, I cannot sleep as I am gasping for air as I can't breathe. How long can I anticipate not being able to breath for? Additionally how long will my nose bleed for.

Bleeding After Septorhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable.  Some bleeding or blood-tinged drainage is expected for about a week or so after surgery.  Blood clots and crusts can make it quite difficult to breathe after surgery.  I typically recommend my patients to use nasal saline spray frequently throughout the day as well as ointment in the nostrils three to four times a day to keep the nasal passageways as moist as possible.  Use of Afrin/oxymetazoline for no more than 3-5 days can also help with bleeding as well as decongestion.  While these recommendations may help, I encourage you to touch base with your surgeon to let him/her know.  Sometimes an early visit to suction out the nose under direct visualization is beneficial.  Hope that helps, good luck to you!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon