Breast augmentation done in Thailand, but now home in Toronto. Looking for a PS for follow up care. Help??

I got my BA done about 12 days ago now, January 27th. But I am calling every PS office trying to get some follow up care but alot of offices are turning me down. I was just wondering if it's even possible to find a PS that would do follow up care if it's not their own patient. I live in the woodbridge area. If someone could please help?? I just need some peace of mind. I don't believe that I am having any complications at this point.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Continue searching

Thank you for the question.  This is a common problem for patients deciding to have surgery outside the country or their home.  It would be hard to follow up with the surgeon.  Best option right now is to continue searching for surgeons within your area who do post op care even if they did not perform surgery.  You can search here on realself, or on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons as well.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Follow-up Care Back Home

What you are experiencing is a common problem for patients choosing to have surgery away from home.  The good news is that in your case, it doesn't seem like you're having a complication, so your situation isn't urgent.

There are a lot of plastic surgeons in Toronto.  I would just continue to call around.  Some surgeons may accept your, with a professional fee for their time and care.  To assist, if you haven't already, you can check out both the American and the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons websites for doctors in your area.  If you can't find one, then perhaps your primary care doctor can follow you, and refer you to a colleague if they do suspect any issues.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

American Society of Plastic Surgery

The American Society of Plastic Surgery is a resource that has a directory of surgeons in your area. Good Luck

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation as part of medical tourism.

When engaging a foreign surgeon for a medical procedure is important that a local surgeon be engaged for the purposes of follow-up. This is the responsibility of the operating surgeon.

Follow up care

Thank you for your question. The American association of plastic surgery website is a useful resource with a listing of many plastic surgeons in your area. That would be the best directory to look for the right surgeon who can assist with your follow up.

Best wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Follow up

It is very important to follow up to optimize your results.    A lot of follow up appointments could still be done with your surgeon in Thailand thanks to the Internet.   If you are doing good as you stated, the follow ups should be easy.   If not, it is important to find a local expert plastic surgeon which may incur a cost to you.   If you have silicone implants most likely you will be in a long term study depending on the implant company used which requires a surgeon to examine you.     Ask your surgeon in Thailand which study you are participating in.   The surgeon should give you a time line on what follow up you need and future implant exchanges.     If your surgeon is unwilling to help you (which is unlikely), then you should expect to pay for a local surgeon to help you.     Good luck.   

Kenneth Sumida, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon and ask if he/she can refer you to a colleague local to handle your follow up care.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Try the directory of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons or Royal College of Surgeons of Canada

In the Greater Toronto Area, there are a plethora of excellent Plastic Surgeons who would be both willing and capable of caring for you.  While many Canadian Surgeons are cross certified in the US, there also are many exceptional Plastic Surgeons who choose only certification in Canada.  The Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons has a listing of reputable surgeons certified by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada and would serve as an excellent resource in your endeavors to find surgeon.  

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Follow up care

My best advise would be to go on the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and find a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area. Call the offices and schedule a consultation. You will need to pay for it, but it is really important to have a surgeon in your area for follow up. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD