Two weeks ago I took Botox injections for wrinkles around the eye (20 units). Can I breast-feed my 9 months old baby?

Two weeks ago I took Botox injections for wrinkles around the eye 20 units Can I breast-feed my baby 9 months old

Yes you can breastfeed your baby

Botox is a protein that gets out of your system in about 4 hours.  It is a molecule, a protein, that affects the ability of the nerve endings to stimulate muscle fibres.  It takes the nerve endings 3 months to rebuild the ability to stimulate muscles, but BOTOX itself is long gone.  It breaks up and is out of your body in about 4 hours.
That being said, BOTOX is not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women not because we know it does something bad but because nobody would do a study on a pregnant woman to see if anything bad happens... i.e. we do not have any studies to prove it is safe ....  your pregnancy and breastfeeding status should have been discussed with you during your consultation.

Can I breast-feed my 9 months old baby after Botox?

This should have been discussed in your consultation prior to your Botox procedure.  There are currently no studies to show the effects of Botox and fillers on pregnant or nursing women. Botox stays effective for 3-4 months, so, unfortunately, the "official" answer is that you may need to pump and dump for that duration. Since the effects of Botox cosmetic and fillers are very localized to the face, the likelihood of it causing harm to your baby is exceedingly low, but because it hasn't been studied, nobody knows the real answer.  I'm sorry you are going through this. I wish you and your baby well.

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding and Botox

Botox has not been tested on breast feeding women. There have not been any reported incident that botox has caused any harm to either the baby or the mother, it is best not to be treated while breast feeding.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox and Breastfeeding

Did you let your injector know that you were breastfeeding? As part of our patient registration and consultation process we ask all of our potential Botox clients whether they are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are trying to become pregnant. This is because Botox is not recommended while pregnant or breastfeeding. This should have been communicated with you by your injector. I would avoid getting any additional Botox treatments until you are no longer breastfeeding.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Can I breast feed if I have Botox

Your injector should have thoroughly discussed this with you and should probably not have injected you if you are breastfeeding. Botox is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. There are no studies showing there are any issues with it, but we won't do these tests because we simply won't perform a test like this. So, the probability of there being an issue with you breastfeeding is negligible, but it is up to you and your child's pediatrician to discuss it.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Breastfeeding and Botox

There are no studies that say you can't, although the package insert says not for breastfeeding or pregnant women.  The botox is localized to the muscles/nerves and likely will have no systemic effect.  But it is currently not recommended to breastfeed while having treatments.  Personally I do not feel it will have any impact, but cannot give you that personal recommendation given the standard guidelines. Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and Breast Feeding

This should have been discussed when you had the evaluation for your Botox treatment. 

Botox is not recommended during pregnancy and breastfeeding. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Not recommended

It is not recommended to get Botox during pregnancy or breast feeding, but I would consult with your injecting physician.

Yadro Ducic, MD
Fort Worth Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Breast Feeding

Botox is a great injectable for the wrinkles around the eyes. Botox is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breast feeding. 

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox While Nursing

There are no studies regarding the use of Botox while nursing and I do not contemplate that any new studies will be conducted soon
i would discuss this with your pediatrician and obstetrician and avoid
getting additional Botox injections.  

Fredric Haberman, DO
Ridgewood Dermatologic Surgeon