Can I use Botox/fillers to make my chin look more chiseled? (Photo)

I have a very big overbite and when i pull my jaw forward it looks a lot better. I don't want to do surgery because I do not have the time or money, but would like to get rid of some of the double chin. I was told by my ortho they would have to break my jaw and put it back into place but I don't think I could do that right now. :( It sounds materialist but I think about it everyday.. :(

Doctor Answers 7

Botox will not address the size and position of the jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question alisha2323. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox will not address the size and position of the jaw. Surgery or fillers can provide improvement. Also, Kybella can be used to address the double chin and improve jawline definition. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Non surgical options for chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear alisha2323,

Thank you for your clinical post and photograph. You do have a weak chin, a condition called microgenia with a bit of a maxillary overbite. There is also some subcutaneous fat under your chin giving you a double chin appearance. In Canada, there are a number of options that you can undertake that are non-surgical and/or minimally invasive. Non-surgical options including non-surgical mechanisms to permanently remove the subcutaneous fat under the chin with a series of Kybella injections, in Canada this is called Belkyra and/or CoolSculpting mini or BodyFx mini or even UltraShape mini intertechnologies to tighten the skin and kill the fat and can be used supplementally to Belkyra (Kybella). In addition, Juvederm Voluma or micro fat grafting can be performed to the chin to give it more projection, also non-surgical.

Surgical options include NeckTite or SmartLipo to the submentum to remove the fat and give you a more sculpted, contoured neck and a small chin implant or fat grafting to the chin. This is also minimally invasive and can be performed under local anesthesia.

As you can see there are a lot of options to give you improved contour without orthognathic surgery and a sagittal split osteotomy or sliding genioplasty.

I think you can end up with an excellent result without orthognathic surgery and one day you may want to do mandibular bone surgery to improve your occlusion and appearance, but simple procedures with little downtime can be offered now.

I’m sure you can get an excellent result and best of luck. To find out more, please visit the link below. Also visit the CoolSculpting, BodyFx sections as well as the VolumaLift section with Juvederm Voluma.

To schedule a consultation simply fill out one of the online consultation request forms and e-mail it in and a SpaMedica service representative will help you promptly.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 101 reviews

BOTOX Not For Chin Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Alisha, Thank you for posting a photo with your question. BOTOX has many indications, but unfortunately it will not augment your chin. A surgical alternative to having your jaw broken that will give you a dramatic improvement is chin augmentation with liposuction of your neck. Chin augmentation with an implant and liposuction of the neck are not expensive and plastic surgery financing is often available. I recommend that you have a consultation with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can answer your questions and examine you and provide you with a treatment plan. If not now, then when? Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Chin question

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I agree with the other physicians.   A chin implant or a sliding genioplasty (breaking the jaw bone) are the best ways to improve the appearance of the lower third of your face.   Additionally, orthodontists may be able to use braces to help with the overbite.   Finally, Coolsculpt mini or Kybella could be used to help eliminate the subcutaneous fat beneath the chin.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  I agree with everything stated below and do believe you would from a chin implant.  You also stated that the double chin is bothering and this may easily be corrected non-surgically by a technique like Kybella or Coolsculpting, I think this may give you more definition and is a relatively simple non-surgical treatment that may give you what you are looking for until you are able to have the time and money to undergo the surgical procedure.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Can I use Botox/fillers to make my chin look more chiseled?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello alisha2323,

Your photo does show what you are talking about.  There are two effective ways to correct this.  One option is with a mandibular advancement or sliding genioplasty (i.e. breaking the bone and moving it forward).  The more common option is a chin implant.  This can be done in the clinic for the right patient.  The benefit is it is more permanent.  Fillers can be used to some extent but the results will not be as drastic.  If too much filler is placed it can make the chin appear quite strange.  Botox would not give a chiseled look but it can help if you have dimples in your chin when you talk (careful with this because with an overbite if you weaken that muscle it can also lead to a poor result).  

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to go over your options in person and find out what fits your budget and available downtime.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Non surgical options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fillers can sometimes be used to augment the chin area creating a non-surgical "chin implant".  Alternatively you could consider a chin implant, which is not very invasive.  Neither of these options requires breaking your jaw.  I would talk to a board certified facial plastic surgeon to find out all your options.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.