Blepharoplasty to correct genetically heavy upper eyelids (23 female)? (Photo)

My family has a history of very heavy upper eyelids. I just turned 23 but have had these heavy eyelids since I was born. What would do suggest to correct this issue?

Heavy upper eyelids

Your eyebrows appear to be very low. I believe you would benefit from a brow lift with or without blepharoplasty. An evaluation by an oculoplastic specialist would provide you with information on all of your options. Best wishes. 

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treating Genetically heavy upper eyelids in a young person

I totally see your concern, especially on the oblique and profile views.  The issue for me is that you are so young.  However, I recently treated a young woman (32 years old) with almost the same concern that you have by doing a mini temporal brow lift only - no lid surgery (yet anyway); and her results are wonderful with no facial scars at all.  We did it in the office with local and tumescent anesthesia only. The mini temporal lift consisted of removing matching right and left: 1" by 3" crescents of high temporal scalp, then releasing the brows down over the orbital rims and pulling the lateral brows up to close the crescent gaps. Since we already had her numb, we did Intensif RF microneedling with PRP during the same treatment to improve the skin texture of her lower lids especially. She had mild bruising and swelling for a week. 

Heavy upper eyelids

From your photographs it does look like you would benefit from an upper lid blepharoplasty, but another consideration is the heaviness of your brow and the utility of a brow lift in conjunction with the blepharoplasty. A consult with a full set of photos and an exam is necessary to fully address your concerns. 

Dr. Brace

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lateral brow fullness

Possibly botox would be the best thing to try first because that may lift eyebrows a bit without requiring much else.

Blepharoplasty to correct genetically heavy upper eyelids in a 23-year-old female

A very conservative upper lid blepharoplasty can accomplish raising the eyelid platform, so that the eye lid skin does not rest on the eyelashes. For many before and after blepharoplasty examples, please see the link and the video below

You have two basic options.

Endoscopic forehead lift.  Less is more.  Essential the eyebrows are raised a small amount (millimeters-do not want the deee in the headlight effect)

Microblepharoplasty. This can be done to expose a small amount of eyelid platform skin.  It is essential to preserve the upper eyelid fold.  What you need is a small space between the brow fold and the eyelashes so you have a place to apply make up.

Full upper lids

You do have a very full upper lid.  That is now considered attractive, and if you look at most models they also have this full upper eyelid.  If you don't like it you can do a couple of things.  If you lift the brow even a little it will look less full.  This can be done with some Botox to the outer brow, or surgically.  You can also do a conservative upper lid blepharoplasty.  This will help to eliminate some of the excess skin and can deepen the sulcus if that is the look you want.  I don't think there is any problem with your lacrimal glands.  This is probably just fat in the brow. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty to correct genetically heavy upper eyelids (23 female)?

Your issue may be brow ptosis not excess eyelid skin. I would first try botox for frown lines and crow's feet area to see if that corrects the problem.

Heavy Upper Eyelids: Next Step?

Phaphon  thank you for your question and photographs.  An in person consultation is necessary to coordinate your best course of action.  While blepharoplasty  ( eyelid surgery) alone may help your concern I note a heavy eyebrow and fullness from your lacrimal gland ( outside portion of your eyelid) that may need to be addressed in order to  give you the  aesthetically pleasing  look you hope for.  There are some great Ocular Plastic Surgeons in Toronto.  Good Luck!

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Heavy upper eyelid treatment

Thank you for sharing your question. An expert  eyelid surgeon can perform Blepharoplasty on you and achieve a natural appearance. Make an appointment for comprehensive evaluation in person with a specialist.  Good luck,