Anatomical vs round and silicone gel vs gummy bear implants? (Photos)

I am 35 years old and breastfed 2 kids and I want to get a breast augmentation and achieve a natural look and soft feel. I want to avoid the top of the implant to be very round and fake looking. I am aware that my nipple to inframammary fold is short and I don't want to be bigger than a C cup. Which implant shape and material would be best for me to achieve the above desired goal with a centered nipple ?

Implants

Both are good choices. I usually use round smooth implants for most patients. It is a discussion that you should have in person with your surgeon.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Achieving a beautiful and natural looking breast augmentation

• The number one group of breast augmentation patients I have is mothers that want a fuller breast but to still look natural.
  • There are several things than I consider and discuss with my patients in order to achieve that.  The key thing is size of implant however.  
  • I use four different techniques to help get the perfect implant size including the use of sizers in the surgery to ensure that the perfect implant is chosen, not just a "good enough" one. It takes extra time in surgery but is well worth it.  
  • In someone like you I generally favour a tear drop shaped gummy bear implant.  I think it gives some nice fullness at the bottom while preserving subtle contours at the top.  
  • If you chose a size well you should be able to walk in a bikini down the beach and although people will take notice of how nice your breasts look they should not know they are augmented.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of very few plastic surgeons in Canada with a top 5-star rating on Realself, RateMD, and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is an Assistant Clinical Professor and the Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training for McMaster University.  He serves patients from the GTA including Toronto, Oakville, Mississauga, Georgetown, Brampton, Burlington, Milton, and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

What is the best choice?

Thanks for the good photographs, this is what I see:

• Slight tubular deformity
  • Lack of upper pole fullness
  • High breast crease (short nipple to inframammary crease)
  • Right breast larger than left
  • Wide cleavage area
  • Wide chest
  • Small/average body build
  • Left nipple slightly lateral to the midline as compared to the right

My recommendation would be for a concentric mastopexy/augmentation (donut mastopexy) with round, moderate plus, silicone gel implants under the muscle, approximate size-400 cc. This approach should correct all of the above issues.  Of course, all of this would depend on patient desires, a detailed history and physical examination with photographs, measurements, scar discussion, cost and down time.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant options

It's difficult to say without having a long thoughtful discussion ,consultation and examination.  However, just based on what you're requesting, and the "look" you are going for, I would recommend a gummy bear teardrop shaped implant.  Make a few consultations to get a few different opinions in person.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical vs round breast implants?

Thank you for the question. These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. ***Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Anatomical vs round and silicone gel vs gummy bear implants?

You have good breast anatomy and should e able to achieve a very nice result with either type of implant under the muscle.

For what it is worth 83% of board certified plastic surgeons use smooth round silicone implants-as the implants drop they create a natural look. When you see implants that look like "round balls" it means that the patient has a capsular contracture or sub optimal surgery.

Focus on finding the best surgeon that you are comfortable with and let your surgeon recommend the type of implant that he or she feels is best.