Does this look like AGA or CTE? (Photos)

Hair has been thinning for the last 2 years, huge sheds at one point, has slowed But still losing over 100 per day. GP thought stress, saw a derm, said it was maybe CTE and stress from low ferritin of 32... Can't get my iron up after 4 months of proferrin. Have an appointment with hair loss derm dr. Donovan but not until March 2017...going crazy, just want a diagnosis so I can have my hair back. Loss all over but more noticeable on front hair line and temples, doesn't hold color well. Any ideas?

ssteph3,It is hard to tell without the benefit of an in person evaluation. Of course low serum iron can lead to hair loss, and telogen effluvium. However, low serum iron would result in high TIBC, and low ferritin. 32 ferritin is a bit low for a woman, it should be 50-120.Seeing Dr. Donovan is a fine choice. On the positive side if your hair loss is due to low serum iron then replenishing the iron should re-grow the hair!Sincerely,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Genetic hair loss of CTE

As you seem to be a female, this can be a difficult diagnosis.  I haven’t seen your hair loss, but it is always good to get a second opinion. Some common blood tests for female hair loss:
  • Sex Hormone tests
  • SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) used to test status of male hormones
  • Estradiol is a sex hormone
  • FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) *not hair follicle but follicle in the ovary*
  • LH (Luteinizing Hormone) is a sex hormone
  • Free Testosterone
  • Total Testosterone
  • ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibody) used to test for Lupus or other autoimmune diseases
  • TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) used to test for hyper or hypo-thyroid disease
  • Test Iron status
  • TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capacity)
  • Ferritin
  • Iron

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon