How soon after Breast Augmentation can I fly?

Wait a week to 10 days before flying after breast augmentation.

Your plastic surgeon is the best person to advise you on when you’re ready to fly, as they understand the specifics of your procedure and should be monitoring your recovery. Generally speaking, I advise women who get breast augmentations to wait at least a week to 10 days before traveling by plane. Additionally, during the flight, it’s important that you get up and walk around the cabin to help prevent against blood clots. Finally, stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, and ask for assistance if you need to put any baggage in the overhead bins. Best of luck.

You may be able to fly as soon as 7 to 10 days after breast augmentation.

I assume that you’re asking this question as a potential passenger on a plane, rather than as a pilot. In either event, your plastic surgeon is best-equipped to advise you on this matter. There are a number of factors that will determine when it’s safe for you to fly, from how long the flight is to how well you’re recovering. When you’re up in those friendly skies, you should get up and walk around the cabin to promote blood circulation, which will help prevent against blood clots. Be sure to ask for assistance putting any luggage in the overhead bins, as you should avoid lifting anything more than 10 pounds.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Check with your surgeon

You should check with your surgeon as every surgeon has different post op instructions. The best source of information is your surgeon and any material given to you by your surgeon's office!Good luck!

Flying After Breast Augmentation

This is something I am always asked by patients.  I like my patients to wait 7 days and at least see me for one post op visit before flying the friendly skies.  BUT, please remember that you cannot lift your luggage.  This is something easily forgotten, but a VERY important part of your post op instructions.  Have a great time on your trip, but please be mindful of your surgeon's instructions.

Breast A

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

If there are no surgical complications, most patients can fly in 7 days or so but carrying anything heavy or putting bags in the overhead storage will not be possible.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Flying after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. This is up to your Doctors discretion but I allow my Breast Augmentation patients to fly 7-10 days after surgery. 

Travel after breast augmentation

Thanks for you inquiry and I suggest you ask the surgeon who has or will perform your surgery his/her protocol. My personal recommendation is wait three weeks, avoid lifting heavy luggage, stay out if the water, an modifiy strenuous activity--good luck. 

Flying after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has different protocols for patients from out of town. In my practice, we see a lot of breast augmentation patients from out of town. My protocol is to do all pre-op paperwork and testing before arrival. We would do the initial consultation and pre-op on a Monday morning, hold operating room time on Tuesday, see the patient for a post-op appointment on Thursday and they can return home (Fly) Friday. You will not be able to lift bags at that point, so you you will need assistance. Also if you are taking a flight over 1 hour, you should walk up and down the isle at least once an hour. Stay hydrated as well. You should check with your surgeon to get their protocol, but I routinely do the above and it has worked well for me in my practice.

Flying after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.In my practice, I don't necessarily restrict flying, but the things that go along with traveling- such as carrying luggage, and being especially careful not to get bumped into during travel.  Also, what kinds of activities will you be doing once you get to your destination? Talk with your plastic surgeon about his/her post operative instructions and do your best to carefully follow instructions.Good luck in your procedure and recovery.

Fred Hackney, MD