Advice regarding lip fillers (Juvederm / Restylane, ect) (photo)

Ive been considering getting lip fillers such as Juviderm or Restylyn. I'm concerned about it looking unnatural or being lumpy, not symmetrical or leaving obvious injection marks. I also don't want them to look like duck or fish lips like Ive seen on celebs like Shannon Tweed. What are the risks of my concerns & which filler do you recommend. I have attached 2 photos of my current natural lips & a photo of before and after results I found on realself using Restylyn of what I want to achieve.

#lipcontouring #fillers #Restylane #juvederm

Dear Endosad

Thank you for your questions and photos!  Your lip shape is good and so adding volume with a hyaluronic acid filler will result in good lip shape and augmentation. Your concerns about "overdone" lip contour are valid- and lip contouring requires attention to detail and precise filler placement. You may need more than one injection- a couple of months apart - to achieve the shape you are looking for .

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Lip fillers

Dear Endosad,

The judicious use of Juvederm done artistically usually with the use of a microcannula will result in very natural looking lips and the “ducky” or “trout lip” will not be a concern. Quite commonly I will combine micro amounts of Botox together with fractional laser resurfacing either with fractional radio frequency devices such as Fractora or Fractional CO2 together with a tiny amount of Botox and Juvederm based lip augmentation to create the most natural looking smooth, fresh, youthful lips.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck. For more information, please review the link below. Also look up on the SpaMedica website Botox and Fractional lasers.

To schedule a consultation simply fill out the online consultation request form and a customer service representative will serve you promptly.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Advice regarding lip fillers

The best advice I can give you is to find someone who performs a lot of lip fillers.  It is not the filler (Restylane or Juvederm), but the injector who gives you the soft, natural pout!   I would suggest not using more than one syringe to start and telling your injector ahead of time that  you do not want the duck lip look!

Advice regarding lip fillers

Hi, 

Thanks for your great question.  A lot of people have the same concern that you do. I would agree with other and say that the choice of filler is not as important as the doctor injecting the filler.

That being said - the top three fillers that are safe choices for the lips are: Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero. 

Now, since everyone says that the injector is so crucial - you should come prepared to your appointment with a list of questions and details that are important to you. Bring a picture of what your lips look like and a picture of what you would like them to look like. This is really helpful to facilitate the conversation between you and the doctor. For instance, the central part of your lips are really full - I would be really hesitant to fill them anymore. To me, it looks like the corners are where you need volume, specifically on the lower lips. The picture that you chose doesn't have the same mouth as you. If you can find a doctor near you that can explain that to you, then I think you'll be very happy!

Good luck!
Dr. Dan!

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip filler

The single most important variable is not the product being used but whom is injecting the product. All of your concerns are potential temporary risks, so you need to find an experienced injector. In general I find my lip filler patients to be very pleased with their results, whether we use Restylane or Juvederm, so best of luck!

Scott M. Gayner, MD
Harrisburg Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane or Juvederm for lips

The most important decision is to choose an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon who enhances lips. Either Restylane or Juvederm would be an appropriate product.  Be sure to express your concerns and discuss the look you would like to see if it is a realistic achievement.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Fillers to the lips

Juvederm, perlane, restylane all work well in the lips. Find a good injector because this is the most important thing.

Lip Filler

Thank you for your question. Any of the products you listed may give you the results you are seeking. The most important thing is to find someone who is an expert at injecting lips. This means that they know what attractive, youthful lips look like and inject lips regularly. Good luck. 

Lip fillers

You have relatively small cute mouth with nice features including well defined Cupid's Bow
if u want a little increase I would use lite products like Restylane , Bellattero , or newer one I haven't tried Resylane ' Silk ' , these are not long lasting so if unhappy it'll go away earlier 
an interesting procedure is to inject Saline with same method to get a feel for this procedure , as it'll absorb in 2days & then use longer lasting one if u like what u see , appearantly being done in London but easily done here .

Jerrold Gendler, MD, FRCS

You seem to be an ideal candidate for lip fillers

Juvederm or Restylane would be great options for cosmetic lip augmentation.  Often, word of mouth is the best way to get a recommendation for an experienced injector.  Make sure that your doctor has experience injecting lips and that you are clear with your expectations.  Start slowly because you can always do more in the future.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon