Am I a good candidate for liposuction of the upper and lower abs? (Photo)

I an a 60 year old female, weighing 140 pounds, I want to get a flatter stomach. I want to know if I could accomplish this by getting liposuction of the upper and lower abs and flanks?

Liposuction for abs

Dear MAR1955,

Thank you for your clinical post and your photographs and clinical concerns are very common. Many women experience subcutaneous deposition of fat in the bra line, hips and flanks posteriorly and upper and lower abdomen anteriorly or at the front. From your photographs it does appear that you have some loose subcutaneous fat above the muscle and a significant amount of fat in the love handles, flanks and bra line. Appropriate techniques of liposuction, modern liposuction that dispense some heat leading to tightening and fat liquification removal would be the most successful at achieving contraction while undergoing liposuction surgery.

I find BodyTite, Smartlipo and Vaser Lipo are excellent technologies for body contouring that lead to enhanced contraction of soft tissue and minimize the risk of loose skin after removal of fat. Using the techniques I think you’d get an excellent result and improvement in your bra line, hips and flanks at the back, as well as flattening of the front of the tummy wall. With skin tightening liposuction technology such as BodyTite, I think you can avoid loose skin. The only probable concern you’ll have after surgery is that there will still be significant abdominal bulge, but very little fat you can pinch on the surface of the skin. This abdominal bulge is internal fat or “the danger fat or heart attack fat” and needs to be lost with weight loss, diet and exercise. Sometimes liposuction in troublesome areas of subcutaneous fat can stimulate a much needed healthy approach to weight loss/weight gain and exercise.

I would seek out the expertise and consultation of a surgical plastic surgeon using high tech devices such as Smartlipo, BodyTite and Vaser Lipo to minimize your risk of skin laxity and unattractive contours following traditional liposuction.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

The degree of improvement by Liposuction alone depends on how much subcutaneous fat you have in the upper and lower abdomen and the amount of laxity between the abdominal muscles . Examination would show the degree of fatty tissue underneath the skin as well as the degree of separation between the rectus muscle.This will determine how much improvement liposuction alone would give as opposed to being combined with a with a tummy tuck.
Please consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.
Good Luck to you.

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Liposuction is good for patients with subcutaneous fat that they want to reduce. If your abdomen is weak and the muscles are stretched, you  may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck. Good luck.

Liposuction alone??

Hi

I think you would get a little improvement with liposuction but not the kind you are going to be happy with. A tummy tuck would really be a better choice. You could have a flat stomach and as long as your scar is placed nice and low and the belly button is made to look natural the result would be far more transformational...and satisfying for you. 

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Ass't Clin Professor & 
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training 
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Lipo?

Thanks for the question, the upside of lipo is you can get people smaller quickly with minimal downtime and scarring, that being said it is not a replacement for a tummy tuck so if you want to be flat flat you need the scar, the pain, and the downtime. So yes you could be flatter with lipo but a tummy tuck wil get you close to flat, hope that helps!

A flatter stomach

Thank you for the question. Liposuction help you lose inches but it will not make your abdomen flatter.  From your photos, a full tummy tuck would be more appropriate. Good luck. 

Dr. Burnett

Liposuction at 60 years old

Thank you for the question and your photos.

Liposuction or non surgical fat reduction techniques like CoolScultping are likely to have a good effect on our hips and posterior flanks. In these areas it would appear that you have isolated fat pockets with relatively good skin quality that can re-drape nicely after your procedure.

Your side and front views suggest that you have a modest amount of fat under the skin (what liposuction and CoolSculpting can handle) and a more significant contribution coming from loosened or separated abdominal muscles. You may even have an umbilical (belly button) hernia.

After an in office consultation with a certified Plastic Surgeon a more clearly defined plan can be developed.

I suggest that it likely would involve some form of abdominoplasty to address the skin and loose muscles at the front in addition to liposuction or other fat reduction technique for the back and sides.

Good luck with your search.

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at 60

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and congratulations on being such a good weight.

• The photos show that you are a good candidate for liposuction of the back and sides.
  • For the front, you need an examination -
  • It isn't clear how much is fat, how much is stretched muscle and how much (if any) is internal fat.
  • Another consideration is skin looseness - we lose weight with age and often what looks like too much fat is fat rolls caused by shorter height - treatment is removing the skin and fat, no liposuction.
  • The way to find out is to have a consultation with a surgeon to figure out the best way to restore your shape.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Liposuction candidacy

I think you are a reasonable candidate for liposuction of the abdomen and a 360 around the mid trunk.    You will do well but you may have some  skin unevenness of the abdomen.   Also the photos do not tell us how much of your abdominal convexity is fat  and how much is muscle separation.   So good advice would require an exam which you should get from a board certified plastic surgeon.....ABPS!    You could do liposuction and later an abdominoplasty if you desaired or you could get an abdominoplasty as an initial procedure.   Again a physical exam is needed.   Beswt of good surgery for you,  Dr C

Am I a good candidate for liposuction of the upper and lower abs?

Without examining you it is difficult to be certain but based on your photos it appears as though you may require tightening of your abdominal muscles in order to achieve the flat look you want. Unfortunately this can only be done as part of a tummy tuck procedure. If the bulge is due to fat that can be liposuctioned then you would be at risk for loose skin, in which case you would want to consider a skin tightening liposuction add-on such as bodytite to contract the excess skin. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC